UN Selecting Ambassador for Alien Contact

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]in all likely hood any alien race that makes it out here , might not even reconise humans as being an intelligent species [/citation]
Sorry but, in my opinion, you are wrong if there is a species out there that can actually build ships that travel faster then light, then they are intelligent enough to realize that any creature that has discovered PI or has satellites in orbit, is intelligent and they would realize that we have potential, because they have been where we are now.

they may be sillicate based and there for have a completely different definition of what constitutes as "living"
We, carbon based, would be able to recognize a silicon-based life form if it feeds and multiplies and so would they with a carbon one, the principles are the same. But from what I understand silicon based life forms have a very slim chance of existing, because Silicate does not bond with many chemical compounds, like carbon does.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I suspect that the really intelligent life would be smart enough to leave us alone until we grow up a bit. That leaves the reavers, vandals, and pranksters. Interestingly enough that would explain a lot of alleged alien encounters to date.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Anything sophisticated enough to travel the interstellar reaches doesn't need anything we've got. If we discover it's out there let's just turn off the lights and hide under the bed and hope we don't annoy them. I'll take that job if the pay's good, even not so good.

G

May I suggest Pres. Ahmadinejad? He practically runs the UN and probably does the best at representing what humanity is all about.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
First question by aliens after first contact?

"You are always killing us in your movies. Whats up with that?"

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The best ambassador is an ICBM.

[citation][nom]IR_teh_alien[/nom]Sounds like one of the globalist elite got a bright idea from this:http://www.homevideos.com/outerlimits/ol3.htm"Outer Limits!" In an episode entitled "The Architects of Fear", which aired in 1963, a bunch of scientists create a phony alien visitor and alien spaceship with which to scare the people of planet Earth into abandoning nation-states and merging into a single planetary society.[/citation]

Get real, the UN cannot even manage an oil laundering scam without getting caught...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]blazeorangeman[/nom]what a waste of time and money, considering that there is no intellectual life out "there."[/citation]

Just because you're not proof of intelligent life doesn't mean it doesn't exist :D

Anyway, it seems we're pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and I figure conquering aliens don't really want a base in the middle of nowhere. The ones that do visit are probably more like anthropologists going deep into the jungle to meet people who don't know whats out there simply because they think its neat. Once we demonstrate that we have something aliens might want, then we should be worried.

G

Seriously! No disrespect to Mazlam Othman. I am certain she is extremely versed in Space Law and Astrophysics, but do we really want her to be the one standing there at the initial "Meet and Greet?" What is she maybe five feet two? Let's just say at this moment of first impressions, I would prefer having the tallest, strongest, toughest-looking bad ass on the planet give the first crushing hand-shake and with a steely-eyed stare say, Yep, we humans are all just like me. Now what do you want!!!!

G

Prof Hawkins is neglecting to mention that if an alien culture develops like ours they will never have the spare resources to launch massive ships into space :p

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
If they come here, there will be little to discuss... They will be doing the talking!

Let's just hope they have no interest in us.

Regardless they outcome, even if it is human extinction it would be so kick ass awesome if they show up in my lifetime!

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
To all the alarmist posters in here here's a bit of common knowledge: Vulcans will be the first alien visitors here. They are peaceful. Your fear is not logical. :)

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Awesome. The American taxpayers (who fund the UN) get to pay so this jerkwad has a lifetime job with benefits sitting on his butt.

Tell you what, I will totally take "the risk" of being alien food for a mere $300 a year. Just send me the checks while I prepare my speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.