Unable to launch any website

Feb 28, 2015
From last couple of days wen ever i launch a web site in any of the browser I'm getting the below screen
IMG_20170219_172026.jpg

(Logo of chrome or msn )
Security error
This website requires security plugin
Install now ( button )
There are false antivirus alarms. We recommend temporarily disable anti virus software

I'm not able to attach a screenshot . Sending this through mobile. Not able to launch tomshardware as well..

My OS is Windows 10

Please help fixing this issue. Sure it can be a malware or virus.

Solution
Definitely looks like you have a virus there!
I mean heck, who in their right mind would disable their antivirus???

Depending on how nasty it is, I would suggest starting an antivirus scan, then leave it to scan your PC and fix the viruses.
If that does not work, try uninstalling all browsers, then doing another virus scan. Reinstall the browsers and check if they are still infected.

If the browser is still infected, you can try to boot up in 'safe mode', and repeat the antivirus scan. In safe mode only the very basic parts of windows are loaded so hopefully the virus will be inactive and more easily removed.
Final option (a bit extreme but can work), is to download a USB virus scanner from your antivirus provider.
This is an article...

DigitalHamster

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Definitely looks like you have a virus there!
I mean heck, who in their right mind would disable their antivirus???

Depending on how nasty it is, I would suggest starting an antivirus scan, then leave it to scan your PC and fix the viruses.
If that does not work, try uninstalling all browsers, then doing another virus scan. Reinstall the browsers and check if they are still infected.

If the browser is still infected, you can try to boot up in 'safe mode', and repeat the antivirus scan. In safe mode only the very basic parts of windows are loaded so hopefully the virus will be inactive and more easily removed.
Final option (a bit extreme but can work), is to download a USB virus scanner from your antivirus provider.
This is an article I found that may be helpful: https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785

Good luck!

Solution

anirban195

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

I am also having the same issue...

Jaspreet_1

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
try SPYHUNTER 4, and/or block live.com and login.live.com from sending you cookies and running javascripts. My laptop is running fine for the past 20 minutes after doing that. Now let's see, i will let you know if it returns after a while.

Jaspreet_1

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
GUYS! MY LAPTOP IS FREE FROM THIS ERROR SINCE THE PAST DAY! NO TRACE OF ANYTHING!
I would like to stress upon a few things WHICH I NOTICED FROM MY CASE and IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE SAME FOR ALL.
I found that my router was the main cause for this issue as it was infected with a malware which changed my DNS addresses to malicious servers. As a result of this browsers were redirected to certain sites which downloaded cookies into my computer which also were infected. These cookies/malwares made chrome redirect to that page even when i wasn't on that router which initially had fooled me into believing that the router was fine.

The solution:
First, I went to C:\Users\Anmol\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\default (spyhunter 4 had reported a malware inside this) and deleted the entire folder as i couldn't locate the malicious cookie.
This solved the issue temporarily and hence raised a doubt in my head that it could be the DNS addresses as I didn't load any unfamiliar websites, the cookie however did eventually return. At last I upgraded the firmware and made the login more secure.

Points which I learnt from this:
NEVER SET ROUTER LOGIN TO COMMON IP ADDRESSES LIKE 192.168.1.1
NEVER LEAVE THE LOGIN PASSWORD AS ADMIN/PASSWORD

DigitalHamster

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
Jaspreet, I disagree on you with one point you made.
The IP of the router on your network like 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 is the local IP.
The hackers only see you global IP, which can be anything at all like 111.222.123.234

The best defence is definitely to make a long and complicated admin password, and also change the username of the admin.
Other things that are recommended is upgrading the firmware, if that's possible.

Jaspreet_1

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
DigitalHamster, I was talking about the local ip address which is used to access the configuration page of the router/modem.
Another thing, whatever I did was enough to solve the problem in my case.

Manan_2

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
As pointed by Jaspreet, reset the wifi router and clean your browsing history

You can reset the wifi router by using pressing the small hole at the back of router using a pin

Technically what is happening is the wifi router infection is picking one device only(I have 4 devices connected to it).
It is injecting a malicious cookine in the http packet and is also changing the response.(You would have observed all https sites work fine).
Once you reset the wifi router, the infection is gone. Now you need to remove the malicious cookies from your browser.
You will also notice that once the malicious cookie is loaded , you cannot open the website even if you change the internet network.

I have a bsnl router. My suspicion is this will be found only in bsnl wifi routers in India.

You may need to secure your wifi router further.

Jaspreet_1

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
Manan, let me make a point. I tried resetting the router and reinstalling windows altogether, but my issue wasn't resolved. What did permanently resolve my problem was upgrading the firmware. And yes, i am also a customer of BSNL broadband.

Jaspreet_1

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
And guys, make it a regular practice to keep a check on the DNS servers you use. You can find your DNS by typing ipconfig/all in command prompt (if not in the router). I suggest everyone to change to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as primary and secondary dns servers instead to making your isp set it automatically. This will save your time as you would easily get to know if anything other than it.

Manan_2

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Oh is it.. my PC is also formatted.. just to confirm your windows reinstall would have deleted the cookies? spoiler][/spoiler]

Jaspreet_1

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

sorry dude, there are malware that can interfere with the firmware of the router which was the case with me. Even before I started getting this page getting displayed, my DNS used to get changed all by itself. I used to avoid it by thinking that the router must be changing it as it was from BSNL (only Indians will understand the "high standards" of BSNL)

Only when one day I searched about the DNS ip, which my router had changed into, did I understand the whole scenario.
It has been 3 days now and i can declare to be free of anything suspicious.

Moreover on reading my previous answers you would get to know that I had mentioned the steps following which my problem was eradicated and i only asked people to refer to it. I also had said that It may or may not be same for everyone.

Nagesh_3

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Hi All,

my problem is not resolved after reset & upgrading firmware in my home router but i have notice i am getting the same issue in my office network as well & as i confirmed with tech guys their is no issue with the office network the last solution i have to format my laptop and need to check.

Nagesh_3

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Hi all,

This problem is so weird, cant solved by doing formatting,firmware upgrade,& cleared browser history i did everything but still getting same issue, finally I removed my old ISP modem Dlink- DSL 2520 & setup new modem my problem is resolved now.

Basically problem with the Dlink modem which changing the DNS address automatically & can not resolved by doing reset & upgrading firmware.

Best of luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nishadler

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

Thank you, I had it so bad that I couldn't access this thread from my laptop and my father's netbook.
I have the modem DSL-2520U_Z3. (It's not old. I bought it pretty recently) My ISP had configured a DNS address and I changed it to "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Then I deleted my entire browsing history along with wiping out appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

I didn't update either my router's or my Modem's firmware since no updates were available. (Also I don't know my ISP's password to setup my modem and didn't want to risk not having internet access for a couple of days).

Once again thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your answer really helped without complicating things. My dad would be really relieved since he's been facing this issue for months and I tried everything but couldn't resolve it earlier.