Unfinished "Wolverine" Downloaded 4M Times

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why do people get all antsy about size. Lets face it the percieved theatre screen for those at the back of the theatre is much smaller than those at the front and again even smaller for the short sighted person watching a 24" screen at 1.5 ft away. Give me the latter every time, especially where teh sound is under my control and not under teh control of an idiot who has been told louder is better, even louder sublime...fool!

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I like the idea of a full length trailer. Better yet, release the first half of the movie or sell it for like a $1 or $2. I'd definitely bite - Plenty of movies really are terrible but you kind of cross your fingers and hope you'll be pleasantly surprised but $10 is just too much to pay anymore unless it's at least watchable. A 720p DLP projector and redbox now meet my film needs. That's only 50 movies for my wife and I at the theater ($1000 for Mitsu HD1000 w/extra bulb two years ago)

Give us a legit way to assess media and we might pay a little. If you don't want so much piracy, don't pump out so much schlock. I remember when the idea of listening to a single track off an album first emerged - such a heresy. The driving force to me was always the fact that most albums had maybe one or two good tracks. Now the concept of an album is on the way out. It was $10 for a CD back then and I wasn't willing to pay it.

Now that I think about it, this whole wolverine brouhaha is a kind of distributed movie review. People with the tech know-how to download probably rate the movie similar to me - imagine if the movie had been amazing - the whole "leaked copy" would seem like brilliant viral marketing.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
nope. i just waited for the movie to be released. It's nothing like watching movies at the theater with your significant other.

G

I have downloaded the workprint (3 times to have a copy without password and that had enough downspeed, so I helped for the 4 mil count). I watched it mostly because I was courious about how a workprint looks like. This film is mostly about special effects and stunt scenes so the workprint can't really replace the theather version and I wasn't expecting for a good plot anyway!

Mennoknight

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Who's kidding WHO?

Probably 75%-85% of the downloads were high school kids who wanted to brag to their friends that they downloaded an illegal copy of a movie...then their parents gave them $20 and they went with all their friends to see it anyway.

The guys who are tech savy to download it and say, burn an .iso image or something are usually videophile snobs who won't watch some crappy cam-rip or half finished movie w/o special effects and whatnot.

I didn't download it because I appreciate the theater experience...I can get a ticket for $7.50 at Costco and have a 40 foot screen versus my 17 inch laptop screen. I'm also not in ninth grade and have nobody to impress...

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Mennoknight[/nom]Who's kidding WHO?Probably 75%-85% of the downloads were high school kids who wanted to brag to their friends that they downloaded an illegal copy of a movie...then their parents gave them $20 and they went with all their friends to see it anyway.The guys who are tech savy to download it and say, burn an .iso image or something are usually videophile snobs who won't watch some crappy cam-rip or half finished movie w/o special effects and whatnot.I didn't download it because I appreciate the theater experience...I can get a ticket for $7.50 at Costco and have a 40 foot screen versus my 17 inch laptop screen. I'm also not in ninth grade and have nobody to impress...[/citation]

But you are a Grade A moron. And I believe you when you say you have nobody to impress. From your comment alone it shows you as a whiney loner.

I am one of those tech savvy guys (and I know how to spell) and I have watched many crappy (and some not so crappy) cams, full on DVD quality screeners and the recent X-Men work print which was a lot more than half finished. There were only a handful of moments where the special effects were not completed. I watch all of these on a desktop with a 24” inch monitor and if the family wants to watch as well then I will burn it to a DVD to play on the TV.

I don’t think that “high-school” kids were the ones that were downloading this work print. And by your logic, if 85% of the downloaders were high-school kids that spent money at the theater to watch it anyway then what in the hell is all the fuss about?

People have already admitted to watching the download and then going to the theater to see it. Say that’s another 5% then that leaves 10%. Another 5% probably were never going to see the movie to begin with so that leaves you with 200,000 sales that were missed because they saw the download and said hell no I won’t go. Being generous and saying tickets were $10.00 that comes out to be $2mil. And this is based on over inflated numbers produced by the motion picture industry that is whining for attention for something they probably leaked themselves. In reality, the number lost out on sales of someone downloading it and not seeing the movie because of that download is probably closer to the $1mil mark and that is still being generous. They blow $1mil on parties. Let's not forget that the movie grossed $160mil worldwide on a $140mil budget.

I fart in your general direction.

G

First, I think that number (4 million) is not representative of the actual number that would usually watch the film. As someone pointed out, I know a guy that downloaded it just for bragging that he saw it before it was out.

I admit I download movies when my local library is out of copies. I did not download this unfinished movie however. I have a list of movies I want to specifically see in the theater: X-Men, Terminator, Transformers, etc. It's a treat for me, something to look forward to when I have to go to work day in and day out. I want a memorable experience, like going to the theater, other than looking at a computer screen, something I do all day anyways.

For those trashing the film, that's your opinion I guess. I personally enjoyed the movie. There were cool parts, wtf angering parts, and hilarious parts: "Did you just call me... Blob?" I know events didn't match the comics... I only wish the film had been longer.
P.S. There are a few different post credit endings, I watched the one with Wolverine in a bar.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Gigahertz21[/nom]Downloaded the movie and watched it, also went to the theater and watched it. I thought there would be more stuff in the finished version but surprisingly not. Make sure you stay until the credits are done rolling for an extra scene with Dead Pool. It shows his arm coming out of the ruble then grabbing his head, then his eyes open up.[/citation]

were you just b#llsh!tt!ng? cause thats not the end I saw. the little clip I saw at the end of the credits was completely worthless and I should not have even stayed to see. and it did not show deadpool at all. it has to be the worst little extra ever in my book. at least the other Marvel movies that little extra at the end hinted to something or had some pertinence. the one I saw had no value what-so-ever.

also it kinda bugs the sh!t out of me how they just don't explain certain things - like uh sure Wolverine has a healing mutant ability but how the hell did he get the bullets out of his head/skull? and what about the 2 holes in his skull? how the h377 did those get fixed since his skeleton is of a metal alloy now (Adamantium) and I'm pretty sure his mutant healing ability doesn't include his skeleton anymore. I mean maybe one could argue it would repair the holes with bone but that would mean the metal is still frack'd up right? if someone knows more about that or something I haven't come across in the Marvel universe please let me know because they really just drives me crazy.

and yes, I saw it in the theatre. I still don't get why you can't just use the actual comic book stories in movies.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
ah ha! the guy that posted right above me - that's the ending I saw after the credits. dumb it was.

btw, yes I am fully capable of downloading a movie but eh, personally I like to see movies at the movies (minus the excess noise of @sses on their cell phones and parents bringing kids they shouldn't). also, part of the reason is so that I know if I would like to purchase the movie on DVD at some point after it's released meaning not necessarily buying it when it's new. so settle down MPIAA or whatever those initials are, some of those DVD's are only worth the 3 to 5 bucks of a sale price! :p

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Now this tempts me to download it! Thanx FOX for making this known to me... :D

Hmmm... or it is just their demonic plan? They've released this "pirated" copy themselves, didn't they?

G

It's a crappy movie, I actually downloaded it only for curiosity but it disappointed me and I didn't finish it, and I'm having a hard time in making my mind to go see it in the theater even with the fact that it only cost 5 dollars where I live.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
star trek opened at 76 million , and from what I here it was by far a much better movie. I haven't downloaded it nor seen it at the theater'

G

I can confirm UNQUESTIONABLY that their 4 million figure is inflated. I personally along with many other people received an email from our ISP stating that we had been identified by the investigation as having illegally downloaded this movie requiring that we send a response assuring that the file had been deleted.

Of note, nobody at my place downloaded this... I'm the only one who's ever torrented at my house at all, but my torrenting is perfectly legal... stuff like the clear skies EVE movie... free content, all kosher.

I'm one of those "4 million identified downloaders"... only it's a blatant lie. Only, I'm not just speculating as to that fact... I'm personal proof of it. Obviously my IP was pulled because I had downloaded something kosher from an IP which was also distributing this file.

canceltwc4fios

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
oh boo hoo

"whatever the market will bear"

my market (me) will NOT bear paying to watch a movie and then be ** INUNDATED ** with advertisements in order to safeguard midlevel midrow seating.

UNACCEPTABLE

It's frustrating to be seated near the cretinous, the continuous seat bumpers, and the inconsiderate who feel compelled to check their million lumen phones repeatedly in the dark.

... I've left to have my tickets changed to the next showing ... oh that's a delight

thirty seven quadrazillion people agree. see, I can make up numbers like hollywood, too.

I would rather watch my movies on a large screen in stadium seats...

but I DEMAND a QUALITY experience for my money... if I can't have that why should I bother continue to pay for the theater experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.