Unknown file RRaA no extension cant delete

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
@Starmon

This is continued in a PM

Make sure your screen is showing the right column, if not, look for a link that says something like "Show the right column" that is located near the top right side of your screen.

BTW... The file is not named RRaA, except (incorrectly) as a DOS 8.3 alias. It's true name is "a Fox.avi"

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Here's another screen shot,
RRaA2.jpg
think it has the info you were looking for

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
What can't be seen is the size. Is it zero? Creation date, modified, accessed.
The directory isn't pointing to any place on the drive for the file to exist.
It looks like a flaw in the directory structure. I assumed you ran Chkdsk /f on the drive but maybe not yet?

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

I also tried putting on the .avi extension and it said it couldn't 'read' the file.
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/cry.gif

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Make a new folder. Select all except that one file and cut/paste to the new folder.

Try BC Wipe to delete the old folder, which will automatically include the bum file.

I'm still working on a 'project' to deal with this thing. I am rather strict about what I put together for someone else. It must work, the first time and be totally transportable- that is to say it must run on any computer, any drive in that computer I test it on without trouble or I'm up another night working until it is right. This is a challenge and it's been awhile since a computer said no to me, so I'm determined.

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hi Tigsounds, guess who. I tried the BC Wipe and the Attribute changer and nothing changed, not even an error dialog box came up. The file has no attributes that I can see and was written in 2008. So as I can tell it is an old movie file (.avi) that I DL'd P2P with Frostwire a long time ago and didn't want it anymore so deleted it and it just stayed resident. with no extension either. Except seen in DS-DAT, which I really like. I can tell a speed up of my drives (system) since I've been wiping those deleted files from the H:\Element drive and my C:\ drive.
So at least SOME good is coming from this. Good luck with that nuc' lee' er, software, you are developing. I've never had this resistant of a file either, so I'm rather flabbergasted myself.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Good luck with that nuc' lee' er, software, you are developing. I've never had this resistant of a file either, so I'm rather flabbergasted myself.

Still working, has to be fit in around everything else in life. Having a bit of problems, some of this stuff I haven't dealt with in years but getting back into it. I'm hoping for tomorrow.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
@Starmon

This is continued in a PM

Make sure your screen is showing the right column, if not, look for a link that says something like "Show the right column" that is located near the top right side of your screen.

BTW... The file is not named RRaA, except (incorrectly) as a DOS 8.3 alias. It's true name is "a Fox.avi"

Solution

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Ding ding !!! Round 10.......

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
TigSounds: His PM fix was:
Veteran

Convert does not move files anywhere. You can run Convert on a drive that is nearly full. It takes just a couple minutes to run. It's only going to change the drive from a FAT32 file system to NTFS file system. You can then store files larger than 4GB and it is not as risky if the power goes out while your computer is running. There are many benefits to having a drive be NTFS instead of FAT32. All the existing files in the drive stay, right where they are, they don't get moved or copied.

My Reply

Thank you Tigsounds, I did convert the File Structure and was able to delete the RRaA file and directory it was in, whew, what a work out. You get all the credit and if you are ever in my city I will buy you a beer or whatever you drink. I now have a 1T hard drive with capacity of 1,000,202,240,000 bytes, where before it was
976,521,578,000 bytes. So I gained a lot of space, too. Not just the 458Meg from that file.

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

TigSounds: His PM fix was:
Veteran

Convert does not move files anywhere. You can run Convert on a drive that is nearly full. It takes just a couple minutes to run. It's only going to change the drive from a FAT32 file system to NTFS file system. You can then store files larger than 4GB and it is not as risky if the power goes out while your computer is running. There are many benefits to having a drive be NTFS instead of FAT32. All the existing files in the drive stay, right where they are, they don't get moved or copied.

My reply is at the end of thread.