Unknown file RRaA no extension cant delete

Solution
@Starmon

This is continued in a PM

Make sure your screen is showing the right column, if not, look for a link that says something like "Show the right column" that is located near the top right side of your screen.

BTW... The file is not named RRaA, except (incorrectly) as a DOS 8.3 alias. It's true name is "a Fox.avi"

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

Download Tuneup Utilities 2007 and use it to delete the file.

Get it
HERE

When you run the program, click the bottom button "File recovery and destruction"
Then select "TuneUp Shredder" Browse to the file you want gone & it has a 99.9999999% chance of being deleted and destroyed. This version of TU is a bit dangerous as it will even delete an in-use system file, so be careful.

Come back and tell me if it worked, please.

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Well it is a pretty deep configurer and does some nice TweakUI settings. I did get it to tell me it would delete the file on boot up, but after the reboot, a message came up and said Reload software, it was corrupted. I checked and the file was still there, so I redid the Delete and reboot and the file is still there.....arghhhh,,,,, but I will keep this software it did a fine job otherwise. Thanks, but Next.......

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

Don't give up. I have another trick up my sleeve.

Download the file from below red link. Burn image to CD and boot with it. Skip network configuration when it is is starting (takes a minute to see while booting). Use file explorer function in same way you would use Windows Explorer and see if it can delete the file.

Click Me

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Holy Shite,
That is a 156 meg file. Excuse me for being paranoid, but just exactly what is that file? And please clarify what you meant by,
skip network configuration? My system goes directly to Windows XP OS as my Netowrk has been 'setup' since I reinstalled the OS.

OBTW, thats for the help.

I also tried...Partition Logic (from UK) burned to a ISO CD and twice got multiple errors:

PS/2 mouse error...which I think is developers error of programming, never have mouse (wireless LASER) problems

KernalFileSystemMount (617) error ....no such disk "cd0"

KernalInitialize.c (395)

KernalMain.c (77)

...am going to e-mail developer and hope he has solution. THX^2 TjT-Starmon

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

Fair question, 156 megs and all.

That file is Winternals ERD 2005. Is is a formidably powerful utility to perform many Windows repairs and functions.
The part about networking is because it will try to activate your network connection, part way through loading, for the purpose of copying files out of your system as a last-ditch method of saving your data. That program can do things I can't say here, but you will notice when it is running. Just look around when it is running at the things it can do. It does not get installed on your hard drive, it runs on it's own platform from memory, therefore you make a new CD from that image file and boot with that disk.

In 2006 Microsoft bought Winternals and since then the program has been nearly impossible to obtain. I keep it posted at 4shared.com for people like you that have a good reason to have and use it, otherwise it might be impossible to make the repairs you need done. It resembles Windows XP when it is running and has an Explorer feature nearly identical to Windows Explorer.

Download, burn to CD and don't lose it, you may need it again someday.

Edit: You have a PM

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Thanks again, but neither worked. Winternals is strong and may use it in the future, but File Assassin didn't see the file.
TomT

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

Goodness, you have a file from hell or something.

'Directory Snoop' does some things that are sometimes considered impossible.
Check it out
HERE

The last thing I know of is not easy to do and you probably wouldn't want to do it but I'll give a short description anyway, just in case..

Install a VM Workstation from VMWare, setup with raw disk access. Make the VM to run Windows 2000. Use the Win2K VM to delete the file. If it still won't be deleted, Use Diskprobe with Win2K to edit absolute sectors and manually edit the directory to remove your file and it will surely be gone then, but one false move and you loose everything on the disk.. a bit risky but a positive kill for the file.

Edit: If you were to use the last method above, you'll end up with orphaned file sectors abandoned in place on the drive but Chkdsk will find them and make them 'available' again.

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Well, I've been prodded for the 2nd time to choose a 'best answer' to this problem. First let me say, I tried everything suggested. but this is a REALLY really immovable file, sector, glitch, whatever? I tried the Directory Snoop 5.11 FAT Module will work for USB drives and removed hundreds of dead/deleted files and are right now doing a drive wipe of free space, hoping this allow clears the deleted files, but I could not delete the problem file "RRaA". So noby gets the 'Best Answer'.
The fight continues. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Don't give up the ship... it ain't sunk yet. Don't sweat the 'Best Answer" stuff either. Very few of us here are drooling for a best answer, we do it because we want to help.

I can lead you to a couple more programs that "Might" help, but I'm uncertain right about now, but they won't hurt and can be really nice to have around at other times anyway.

First, there's "Attribute Changer" and this may be a good thing because your file apparently has some sort of attribute preventing it's demise. I have version 5.30 installed in my machine and it works great, but now there are newer versions but the author still has 5.30 on the site to download. You get whatever version you want. Since 5.30 worked so well, I see no reason the newer ones couldn't be even better.

Get Attribute Changer
HERE

Another small program that is worth it's salt is BC Wipe. I have been using an older free version but now there are newer one's and they may be charging for it?

The older version gives a warning a few times when installing that says "Unable to find the image handle" but that has never prevented it from working or performing properly. This is a context menu program (right click to use in Windows Explorer).

Get older version
HERE

Get new version HERE

Since you probably don't have VMWare Workstation in your machine, the running Win2K and using DiskProbe is not an option. There is still debug, but this is as dangerous as DiskProbe so better to stay away from that also.

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
WOW this problem is getting WAY out of hand!! Thank you so much for sticking with me TigSounds. Right now that free space WIPE, is still running 92%, but after I re-boot and try it again, I'll go to those new ideas. WOW, you sure have some connections. My local and trusted computer store Run PC, couldn't get 1/2 this deep. Fingers crossed & hoping my 'stars' aren't. TomT

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Wiping only took 12 hours. and it did not take care of the previously deleted files, so I am now I'm cleaning up those pre-deleted files
I'm also wondering if by chance the RRaA is possibly Cross-linked between the two FAT directories?
I have a screengrab of the drive structure and was wondering is there any way to attach images to these questions? Or do I have to ftp it to my website? It shows drive structure as well as the 'root' file that is named with garbage characters.
The cleaning up is going to take a couple of days at the rate it is going now. AAaaarrgghhhh^2 !!

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I'm also wondering if by chance the RRaA is possibly Cross-linked between the two FAT directories?
No, Chkdsk /F would fix that.

I have a screengrab of the drive structure and was wondering is there any way to attach images to these questions?
Easily done. The photo image file (jpg) is put on the web at a site someplace and added to your post by entering the URL and then drag-through the URL (making selection) and click the blue image button above where we enter our text. I use Photobucket.com as it is easy and they don't insert advertizing. It comes out looking something like this, but with your image of course...

Tigritos.jpg

I'm working on "The Nuclear Option" right now and will take a few hours or a day to complete. I'll make it as automatic as can be done. When finished, you'll have a new toy for your computer that will "amaze and daze" your friends and neighbors. Kind of a thing that will teach your computer that you are the human and it is only a machine. [:tigsounds]

In the meantime you can download and run the latest items I supplied links to a couple replies up, who knows, one of them may do the trick.... Tell your computer.. "I'll be back"

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Hmmmm..... Can you do that again but with the slider on the right down just bit so we can see all the info for the suspect file? I don't see a starting cluster for that file and if it has no start, it's already dead and the space allocation is something else.