Unlock AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE /* with* / Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boooozzzzoooo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Asus M4A88TD-M EVO & AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.10 GHz

perfect unlocking and working perfect for 4 month with Win7x64

Britton

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

You won't be able to see the core temps when its unlocked, something about the temperature diode being unusable. :(

Britton

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Could be a safety limitation set in place by the BIOS to prevent system damage. Also newer BIOS updates are trying to do away with the unlocking feature, typical corporate B.S if you ask me.

Rik98

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello, i just unlocked the fourth core of my x3 720 on a m4a78t-e. Everything seemed to work fine, i was able to start up windows with no problems. I can run prime95 (on 4 cores) for several hours. However when i run firefox it keeps crashing but Internet Explorer runs fine.
The same goes for games, some crash or run with a lot of screen errors others run fine.

I have tried to increase my vcore and nb voltages but that doesn't seem to do much. Does anyone have any idea where the problem might be? Do i have to reinstall certain software?

jonnyp_05

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I had a similar problem with my 550'BE' which i got a couple of years ago, unlocked the cores , looked fine at first , but then error messages (mainly AVG antivirus related for some reason) finally locked up solid-gave up went back to two cores. Would love to crack it but playing around with voltages didn't seem to help'
GA-MA785GT-UD3H
Win XP

endlessrequiem01

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hello community,

First time poster.

I followed the guide listed here, despite the fact that my motherboard was not one of the ones listed.

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770,
and the cpu in question is AMD Phenom™ II X2 555 Dual-Core CPU.

I followed the instructions, and in Bios I edited the two settings to Hybrid and Auto.

Then after rebooting my computer, if I look at the computer properties it now says: Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 B55

!!!
This is good I presume?

Then while looking at the task manager performance tab, it does indeed show grids for 4 processors.

My one concern is that it seemed that once I hit my desktop possibly loading time was slower for the icon images of programs to appear (they were just blank rectangles for a prolonged period, but definitely no more than a minute), and before I could open programs or have control over anything else.

1. Does this mean I've succeeded?
2. Is there anything else I must do?
3. If desired, can I reverse this process and go back to dual processor CPU
4. I understand there is a possibility of having created an unstable quad 4. How can I confirm whether this is the outcome? Should I be checking cpu temperatures, and if so, how?

I apologize for all of the questions, and I greatly appreciate if someone can help a novice like myself.

Thanks again

-Raj

endlessrequiem01

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
To add a bit more info after doing further reading,

I downloaded CPU-Z, CPU HW Monitor, and the Prime95 for "Blend Test."

I'm currently running the blend test for less than an hour now, with no fails.
In the background I'm running Starcraft II, so I know that my cpu is being pushed, and I've confirmed this by looking at the task manager CPU usage and seeing it at 100%

In CPUID Hardware Monitor I see temperatures as:

Temperature 0 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 66°C (150°F) [0x42] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 82°C (179°F) [0x52] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1212 RPM [0x22D] (FANIN0)
Fan 2 2789 RPM [0xF2] (FANIN2)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM2)

I believe it is also important to note that when looking at CPU-Z, I saw a confirmed 4 Cores, and 4 Threads under the CPU.

I kinda have no idea what to do next... all I gather from OP's guide is that I should continue to let the Blend Test run for 12 hours to confirm no errors. Can anyone please walk me through from this stage, or tell me what the results I've posted can confirm (good or bad, unstable, etc, how to further check for possible instability?)

endlessrequiem01

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I became concerned that my CPU was running at too high a temperature. What really freaked me out was the "Temperature 2 82°C (179°F) [0x52] (TMPIN2)"

I aborted the Blend Test, and shut off my computer to let it cool down.

Starting my computer back up again, i checked Hardware Monitor once again, this time finding new temperatures of

Temperature 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 81°C (177°F) [0x51] (TMPIN2)

This leads me to believe that the CPU temperature shown in this program is actually the middle one, TMPIN1, which shifted from 66 Degrees Celcius to 43 when the load was removed.

I just have no idea what this 81 degrees celcius could be... I was very frightened this was my CPU temp, because others say it is dangerous for the Phenom II x2 to go about 70 degrees.

I am feeling kind of dumb being the only person to respond to myself hah, so an outsider's perspective would be much welcomed please :)

jonnyp_05

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I reckon there's nothing else you really need to do. You'll soon find out , if like mine, theres going to be problems. And if there are, just set it back the way it was. I was unable to directly monitor my core temps after unlocking the cores using CPU HW. You can set an alarm (buzzer on the motherboard) to go off if temps reach a threshhold which you can set. I set mine to 50C. Goes off every so often,will upgrade the cooling fan(s )when I get round to it.

cReed_eRos

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Athlon II X3 455 Rana

Asus M5A88-V evo – BIOS Version 1202 - SUCCESS (AMD Phenom II X4 B55) - FAILED TO PASS 800MHz/core even @ FULL LOAD - Vcore doesn't match in the CPU & NB Voltage compared to Vcore under "Power Tab" which is 1.464v and 1.12v respectively however, when relocked to TRICORE - same value: 1.46v. i tried disabling CnQ and chose "ignored" instead of the value given which is 1.12v since i cannot match it mannually to the CPU & NB Voltage. can someone help me please? Many thanks!