Unlock AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE /* with* / Asus M4A785TD-V EVO

chorus

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
AMD PHENOM II CORE UNLOCKING GUIDE

Introduction
Core unlocking of AMD chips has been a very hot topic of discussion. The possibility of spending a mere $100 dollars for a Phenom II X2/X3 chip and unlocking the disabled cores to yield a $200 dollar X4 chip is exactly like the goal of every overclocker around - spend the least amount of money possible and get the most bang for your buck. I have written this guide to consolidate the information surrounding core unlocking, and to answer any questions you guys might have.
Remember, core unlocking is NOT GUARANTEED. However, the aim of this guide is to help everyone increase their chances of successful unlocks.

DISCLAIMER: I am no means an expert. I’m just extremely interested in the subject. My experience is limited to the X2 550BE and the X3 720BE. As a result, for the gurus out there, I welcome you to chime in and correct me. I will keep this post updated with new information and corrections.

Background
The current Phenom II architecture is very unique, and is AMD’s answer to Intel’s Core2Duo and Core2Quad series. Unlike the Core2Quad, which is essentially two Core2Duo’s bridged together, AMD’s Phenom II is a chip with four individual cores.

Like all manufacturing processes, chip fabrication is no different. There are always parts which don’t make the quality cut. In the case of the Phenom II Quad cores, these parts may have defective cores or cache. Rather than throwing these defective Quad cores out, AMD decided to repackage these chips as Dual cores or Tri core processors. It was a win-win scenario for AMD. They would sell these processors at a cheaper price to recover costs and also minimize wasted parts.

When the Phenom II X3 720BE was released, it was highly popular among mainstream enthusiasts. Like all BE processors, the 720BE had an unlocked multiplier, which made overclocking it an extremely simple process. Furthermore, it was priced competitively against Intel’s Core2Duo E6xxx series, but performance actually rivaled the E8xxx series. Why would you pay Intel for a Dual core when you can get a Tri core from AMD?

However, the surge in demand for 720BE processors started when a Korean overclocker first discovered that the “defective” core could be unlocked. He used a motherboard with a SB750 southbridge which supported Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC): the Biostar TA790GX. Soon after, others reported similar success in unlocking the 720BE. This phenomenon eventually extended to include X3 710 and X2 550BE processors as well.

Unoffically, AMD reported record sales of X3 processors, no doubt, in part due to fourth core unlocking. Many believe that the increasing rates of successful unlocks is due to AMD purposedly binning perfectly working X4s as X3s to sastify market demands. What does this mean for you? Your chances of getting an unlockable X3 chip just got better.

Quick overview of parts needed

1. AMD Phenom II processors – Codename Heka (Tri-cores) or Callisto (Dual-cores).
**Athlon II processors DO NOT APPLY.
2. Motherboard with ACC support (SB710 or SB750 southbridge) or NCC (Nvidia’s answer to ACC) AND supports core unlocking. More on specific boards and manufacturers later.
3. A little bit of luck

Choosing the right processor
As previously mentioned, all of AMD’s Phenom II processors contain four cores. X2 processors are X4 processors with two disabled cores, and X3 processors are X4 processors with one disabled core. There is a possibility of unlocking those disabled cores using ACC and the right motherboard.

In terms of which steppings you should choose, I have noticed no “guaranteed” stepping. This leads me to believe that a) Either all chips are unlockable with the right tools, or b) The unlocking process is random. This is where a little bit of luck plays in.

Regardless, choose from the following models. Even if you don’t end up unlocking the 4th core by following this guide, you can’t go wrong because you still would have gotten the best bang for your buck. These chips are proven overclockers.

1. AMD Phenom II X2 550BE
2. AMD Phenom II X3 720BE

If you insist on picking a particular stepping, you should check out the two links below:

1. 550BE Steppings with Successful/Failed Unlocks
2. 720BE Steppings with Successful/Failed Unlocks

Choosing the right motherboard:
In my opinion, this is the determining factor of whether you can unlock your processor. My personal motherboard of choice is the Biostar TA790GX 128M with 78DEA113 BIOS. I have successfully unlocked my X2 550BE and X3 720BE with this board. Other popular choices include the Gigabyte line of products listed below.

In general, make sure the motherboard has a SB710 or SB750 southbridge and ACC is supported before purchasing. However, there are exceptions, as some motherboard manufacturers have disabled ACC core unlocking features. Rumors were floating around that AMD discouraged the unlocking of cores. Hopefully the following list will clarify which motherboards work and which ones don't. Keep in mind that the BIOS revision plays an important role in unlocking. For example, with the Biostar TA790GX 128M motherboard, only 78DEA113 bios unlocks cores. The 78DEA525 bios DOES NOT UNLOCK ANYTHING.

Special Note about Asus Motherboards
UPDATE 22/8/09: Asus has released new bioses for their M4Axx line which addresses all previous unlocking problems. Make sure you update your bios to the most recent one before attempting to unlock.

The Motherboard List (Ongoing Work):
CONTRIBUTIONS WELCOME!! - If you see your mobo not on the list but you have successfully unlocked, post a screenshot of CPU-Z showing 4 cores and the mobo + bios revision like the sample below and I'll add it to the list.
This list is NOT COMPLETE WHATSOEVER. If your motherboard is not on the list, don't assume it won't work. Give things a try with the directions below.

Asus *See Special Note Above*
GeForce 8300
M4N78 Pro - 1004 Official Bios - SUCCESS!! - *Thanks Henderson*
785G/SB710
M4A785D-M PRO - 405 Official Bios - SUCCESS!! Pending Screenshot
785G/SB750
M4A785TD-V EVO - 410 Official Bios - SUCCESS!! - *Thanks Frefox1337*

790FX/SB750
M3A79-T Deluxe – 0030 Mod Bios - SUCCESS!!
M4A79 Deluxe – 1602 Official Bios – SUCCESS!!
M4A79T Deluxe – 0079 Mod Bios/1801 Official Bios – SUCCESS!!/TRI-CORE SUCCESS!! *Thanks T1Cybernetic*
Crosshair III Formula - 0702 Official Bios - FAILURE / FAILURE / SUCCESS!! - Bios??
790GX/SB750
M3A78-T – 0023 Mod Bios – SUCCESS!!
M4A78-E – 1204 Official Bios – SUCCESS!!
M4A78-E SE – 0023 Mod Bios – SUCCESS!!
M4A78T-E – 1402 Official Bios – SUCCESS!! - SUCCESS #2!! *Thanks AMDRick*

Asrock
790GX/SB750
AOD790GX/128M – 1.40 Bios – SUCCESS!!
A790GMH/128M - 1.20 Bios - SUCCESS!! *Thanks fortesquieu*
A790GXH/128M – 1.20 Bios - SUCCESS!!
A790GX/128M - ???

Biostar
For Biostar special bioses for core unlocking, visit this thread
For ALL Biostar bioses released + modded ones, visit here
785G/SB710
TA785G3 - ???
TA785GE 128m - 88GCO720CE Mod Bios - SUCCESS!!
790GX/SB750
TA790GXB3 - ???
TA790GXBE - ???
TA790GXE - Mod Bios available - ???
TA790GXE 128M - Mod Bios available - ???
TA790GX A3+ - 78DAA616 Mod bios – SUCCESS!!
TA790GXB A2 - Mod Bios available - ???
TA790GX 128M – 78DEA113 Official bios – SUCCESS!!
TA790GX3 A2+ - A78DA113 - SUCCESS!! *Thanks DesertRat*
TA790GX XE - Mod Bios available - ???
TA790GX A2+ - 78DEA113 Official bios - SUCCESS!!

DFI
790X/SB750
DK 790X-M2RS - ???
790FX/SB750
DK 790FXB-M3H5 – 04/02/2009 Bios – SUCCESS!!
DK 790FXB-M2RSH – 03/10/2009 Bios- SUCCESS!!
DK 790FXB-M2RS - 02/24/2009 Bios - SUCCESS!! *Thanks eXe.Lilith*
790GX/SB750
DK 790GX-M2RS - ???
JR 790GX-M2RS – 10/30/2008 Bios – SUCCESS!!

ECS
Unfortunately, ECS has decided not to support unlocking in line of motherboards. LINK

Gigabyte
770X/SB710
GA-MA770T-UD3P - F2c/F3 Bios - SUCCESS!!/SUCCESS!! *Thanks Miked270 and oxymorosis*
790X/SB750
GA-MA790X-DS4 - ????
GA-MA790X-UD3P - F4 Bios - SUCCESS!!
GA-MA790X-UD4 – F3 Bios – SUCCESS!! *Thanks kromar*
GA-MA790X-UD4P – F5/F7 Bios – SUCCESS!! / SUCCESS!! *Thanks Deuces*
GA-MA790XT-UD4P - F4G Bios - SUCCESS!! *Thanks Broodman*
790FX/SB750
GA-MA790FX-UD5P - F4c Bios - SUCCESS!! *Thanks PKV*
GA-MA790FXT-UD5P – F3b/F5 Bios – SUCCESS!! / SUCCESS!! *Thanks jbranton*
790GX/SB750
GA-MA790GP-DS4H – F3h Bios – SUCCESS!!
GA-MA790GP-UD3H - ???
GA-MA790GP-UD4H – F3h Bios – SUCCESS!!
GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - ???

MSI
For MSI special bioses for core unlocking, visit this thread.
770X/SB710
770-C35 - Special Bios – ???
770-C45 – 1.3 Offical Bios/1.3B2 Special Bios – SUCCESS!!/SUCCESS!! *Thanks Edgemeal*
790X/SB710
790XT-G45 - ???
790FX/SB750
790FX-GD70 – 1.5B1/1.5B2/1.5B3 Bios – SUCCESS!! - (Solves previous 1.4 bios lockup problems, but 1.5B2 and 1.5B3 has HT link stuck at 8x and 10x multiplier respectively. See thread for details.)
790GX/SB750
790GX-G65 – 1.4B2 Special Bios - SUCCESS!! *Thanks mr.05'rsx*
DKA790GX - 1.8 Bios for Platinum version of mobo - SUCCESS!! *Thanks NeoAnderson*
DKA790GX Platinum – 1.9b2 Bios - SUCCESS!! *Thanks Rosaki*
KA790GX - FAILURE
KA790GX-M - FAILURE
Special note about KA790GX/KA790GX-M motherboards: Even though these two motherboards have a SB750, the traces to activate ACC are not soldered on the PCB. As a result, they WILL NOT unlock anything.

The Unlocking Process
In terms of unlocking your “defective” cores, the process is actually very simple.

1. Enter BIOS.
2. Set Automatic Clock Calibration (ACC) to AUTO.
CRUCIAL step for Asus and Gigabyte owners : Enable "Unleashing" or change "EC Firmware" mode to "Hybrid"
3. Reboot.

If it was successful, your processor should have a new designation starting with X4. Congratulations, because you probably just unlocked your processor.

Some users have been reporting seeing the "X4" designation, but only seeing three cores using CPU-Z. Unfortunately, for 720BE users, it is most likely that your fourth core is defective. For 550BE users, thankfully, you were still able to unlock one of the two defective cores!!

Once you are in Windows, or any other OS that you use, you should begin stability testing for your unlocked processor. I highly suggest the use of Prime95 "Blend Test" for 12 hours to ensure stability before overclocking.

HELP!! My computer can't POST!!

If your computer didn't POST, don’t despair. It is possible that your processor requires a bit of a voltage boost. Reset your CMOS, and enter bios again. Give Vcore a bit of a boost from 1.325v to 1.35v. Make sure you set ACC to auto again. If it still doesn’t work, keep increasing Vcore to 1.4v.

If you are still having trouble, you can also try to bump up the CPU-NB voltage. Stock is 1.2v, and I would keep increasing it until 1.35v.

*For those with Asus motherboards, please update your bios to the latest version. It fixes significant problems encountered with unlocking.*

If the unlocking process still doesn't work out, then you may consider dropping the multiplier of the chip. Decrease it by 1x and attempt to boot. Continue to drop it until you reach 10x. In my opinion, this should be a very last resort, and is not worth doing as you are significantly lowering your cpu clock speed.

From my own personal experience, the unlocking process usually works without a Vcore/Vcpu-nb boost. However, the voltage boost is needed when making the fourth core stable enough to boot into windows.

An unlocked AMD X3 720BE to X4 using an Asus M4A78-E with 1204 BIOS. Vcore = 1.35v. Vcpu-nb = 1.25v. CPU-Z Validation.

Consequences of Unlocking
While some of you will be lucky enough to see the "X4" designation during POST, not all of you will be able to boot into Windows. A simple Vcore/Vcpu-nb boost may help stabilize the unlocked cores, but ultimately the cpu may remain unstable and crash later on. Unfortunately, your disabled cores are most likely defective.

For those who can unlock and pass any stability test you can throw at the computer, congratulations. However, you may have already noticed that you can no longer monitor your cpu core temperatures. Fortunately, most motherboards have a cpu temperature sensor located in the cpu socket area. It is up to you to find out how closely this temperature reading relates to the actual cpu core temperatures.

To do so, revert back to an unlocked state and download HWMonitor. Depending on your motherboard, the cpu socket temperature sensor can be TMPIN0, TMPIN1, or TMPIN2. Next, observe how closely TMPIN0 or TMPIN1 or TMPIN2 relates to core temperatures at 100% load. This will tell you your approximate temperatures when unlocked. You can use this reading as a rough estimate of your core temperatures.

You may also notice that your computer runs hotter after unlocking. This is perfectly normal, as you've got an extra core or two generating heat. As a result, for those who plan on unlocking, get the best cooler you can possibly afford. For those on a budget, the Xigmatech s1283, OCZ Vendetta 2, and the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer are the recommended choices. Those who have unlimited budgets will want a Prolimatech Megahalem, or more exotic cooling solutions such as water or TEC. Keep your cpu cool, and it will reward you back with high overclocks.

Conclusion
Good luck with Phenom II core unlocking. The take-home point however, is the following:
AMD Phenom II X2 and X3 processors have disabled cores which can be unlocked using the right motherboard and BIOS. Ultimately, however, those cores were disabled for a reason. Whether you are able to get those unlocked cores stable is where luck plays a part. Read this guide, pick the right cpu+motherboard combination, and good luck.

I will continue to make changes and edit this thread as needed. I hope to generate a full list of supported motherboards in the end.

agvs

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

TA790GX 128M – 78DEA113 Official bios – SUCCESS!!
TA790GX A2+ - 78DEA113 Official bios - SUCCESS!!

dunno where this article comes from, but this one is really mislead one :non: ,
because the TA790GX A2+ bios's code is 78DBAxxx not 78DEAxxx
then it was imposible to flash ta790gx a2+ with 78DEAxxx whic has diffrent rom ID CMIIW
or you can show me how to flash it any other way
thanks

ndarune-amd [at] yahoo.co.id

SupaNova5k

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm having some issues. Please could you offer some advice.

I have a Phenom II X2 550 BE cpu and a MSI 790GX-G65 mobo. Both have been successfully used to unlock in other cases.

Stock settings in Bios look like this:

IMG_7773.JPG

When you boot using these settings the POST shows you:

IMG_7775.JPG

And the PC successfully boots into Win XP and Win 7.

However, after following the instructions for unlocking the 3rd and 4th cores, my BIOS settings look like this:

IMG_7776.JPG

When you boot using these settings the POST shows you:

IMG_7777.JPG

the POST goes through its usual steps and when it would normally show you the windows splash screen all I get is a black screen.

This is where I can modify voltages:

IMG_7774.JPG

Where do I start?

agvs

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
have you try to set lower HT link speed to 1600MHz
sets your ram speed to ddr800
core leveling to Force to 4, or 3 core (if there any this settting) because some of them had one core defect posibility..

and if ACC mode in Auto didn't works try to another mode, there are "all core" "percore"
just give it a trial and error

sorry for my english

G

i have the asus m4a785d-m pro and the 550be and no sucess yet at unlocking the cores any help would be great i might be doing it wrong thks

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Since AMD doesn't publish how many of their chips they believe can be unlocked successfully, the chance of stability is very hard to quantify. The best rule to go by, is not to buy a chip depending on it to unlock, but as a bonus feature only.

I haven't heard much about the 545 being unlocked, but if the Early Phenom II x3 chips are any indication (710/720BE) then it will probably be as likely to unlock as a 550, just tougher to overclock (since locked multiplier).

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
FSB * CPU Multiplier = CPU speed. FSB also effects other things (Ram, Northbridge, Hyper Transport Link) so the BE chips, with unlocked multipliers (can raise the multiplier past stock speed) is an easier way to Overclock, as it doesn't effect anything but the CPU. Overclocking through the FSB = lots more balancing and efffort.

Pyranha44

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
:bounce:

Thanks for a really good set of instructions!

Worked like a charm on Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H and X2 550BE. Unlocked both additional cores and running @ 3.52 OC and stock cooler.

G

- AMD PHENOM II X2 550 AM3 BLACK EDITION (stock cooler, boxed processor; 15,5x201,2MHz)
- ASRock M3A785GMH/128M (CPU 1,35V; NB 1,1625V; BIOS v1.30 22.10.2009)

No overcloking, didn't even try. All 4 cores OK, stress test OK, CPUTIN temperature in stess test 57 - 59 °C, max 63 °C.

jackharvest1

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hey, this post is seemingly old - but is the first puppy that comes up on google. I'd like you to update your question marks regarding the Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H . SUCCESS!

Britton

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Had good results with the Asus M4A785-M with South Bridge of 710. Just set it up a few hours ago. Using the Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition processor. At first I wasn't able to unlock the cores with out a blue screen, but after flashing the BIOS with the 2010 update and trying again. I was able to unlock all 4 cores and over clocked the cores to 3.5ghz. By default it was only supposed to run 2 cores at a speed of 3.1Ghz. It was very easy to do really, left everything on auto and set the ACC options to 4 cores and activated "Unleash". I ran it that way for a while, then I just had to try and over clock that. Went back in the BIOS and changed the core multiplier to x17.5. I left all the other options alone and kept them on auto. It was that easy, its been stable so far, only blue screens if I try to go beyond 3.5Ghz (Higher than x17.5). I'm using it right now to type up this and have CPU ID, yahoo messenger, adobe reader and the bios flash program active in the memory, I been croping photos and browsing the internet. So far so good, but it may change.

The downside is I can not see my core temperatures, I'll try to post more info if anything happens that may be of use.

Good Luck!

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Dont apologise for your english, genuine respect for learning another language :)

ginja117

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hi just wondering if someone can help me. I have an AMD phenom II x2 545 and a Gigabyte GA-MA785gm-us2h F7 bios. I have tried to unlock this processor but everytime i enable 'Hybrid' mode and set ACC to auto, all cores, or per core it will just automatically disable ACC on boot. i have also tried this with a Athlon x2 5000 am2+ and unlocked the other 2 cores but i dont know why it is disabling ACC for the phenom?????

crayzcreationz

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey im having a problem im able to Unlock my processor to 3 Cores do u think i can unlock it to quad my voltages are stock i only unleashed it and set it to per core 3 cores it stays in the log in screen when i put it to quad core someone can please help me get ma quad core unlocked .....

m4a785td-Evo
4 Gbs Of Patriot Ram
Phenom II X2 550 Be Unlocked To X4 b50 Stock Gz 3.1 But i Only Have It on 3 Cores Cant Get 4th Idk Why Need Help.
ATI Radeon Hd 5770 1Gb Orignal Factory Card
Windows 7 64 Bit.

lcp1109

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

what temps do you get??

infirmumdeum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I want to OC my core to 3.5 ghz. But now that I've unlocked the two extra cores I can't monitor the CPU temps w/ software like Speed Fan or anything else I've tried. How can I monitor CPU temp so when I OC it I don't explode my computer?