How can I unlock the keyboard on my Dell Vostro 3560 keyboard (Windows 8.1)?
It works when I login on the laptop. But after Windows loads, I only hear clicks. The touchpad works fine but I do have it turned off.
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try it again.
- If it will still not work, uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver.
- Reboot the laptop once uninstalled and it should reinstall the driver automatically upon reboot.
- If it will still not work after logging in to Windows, do run System Restore first.
- Here's how: http/windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
- If System Restore will still not work, last option would be to reinstall Windows 8.
I had already tried your first 2 suggestions, to no avail. Then I did the System Restore as you suggested. That did not work either.
But, my nephew wrote me on Facebook and said "This may happen if Filter Keys are on.
Open Control Panel > Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use Here scroll down to "Turn on Filter Keys" option De-select "Turn on Filter Keys" Select the "Apply" button and "OK" "
So, I did what he suggested and Deselected "Turn on Filter Keys". And it now works.
Thank you for your help. I hope others don't have to go through so much trouble fixing their keyboards.