Unofficial Skyrim App Gets Legal Warning from Bethseda

Status
Not open for further replies.

parasite057

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I can only assume they intend to release their own Skyrim guide/atlas/wiki type app? Otherwise I don't see why you wouldn't welcome this type of thing. Is it so much different then the many Elder Scrolls wikis out there...?

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Seriously, why even name a game 'dragon shout'? We all know thats a skyrim knockoff so you know... knock it off before you really start yelling 'nova caine' in cell block D.. k?

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Seriously, why even name a game 'dragon shout'? We all know thats a skyrim knockoff so you know... knock it off before you really start yelling 'nova caine' in cell block D.. k?[/citation]

Yeah, and by your logic, skyrim's dragon shout is a knock-off of dragon speak dictation program... totally copycat right 'dere... mkaay?

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
So it's not a game. It's a Skyrim helper app named "Dragon Shout for Skyrim".
Contains a drawn map of the game area and helpful info.

Guess Beth wouldn't mind if it was free, just like there's no cease and desists flying towards walkthrough- and fan sites. But since money is involved they want a cut, because greed is good.

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Simple, their lawyers were looking at a bleak paycheck so they found something for Bethesda to sue over. The only people that win in a lawsuit are the lawyers, after all.

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I can't believe that a word like "scrolls" can be legally dibbed. That means that if someone wants to create a game that's to do with scrolls, but has little to do with Bethesda's works, they simply can't?

Ridiculous...

kingtoke

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2004
due to the logic implied in patenting the word "scrolls" i am going to patent the letter "a" from now on i expect $1 for every time the letter "a" is used with my permission granted in advance. if my permission to use the letter "a" is not sought in advance a fee of $3 per instance will apply.

fuck you bethesta.. i thought you guys were sound.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Jeez. Simmer down big corporate. Why in the world are you attacking people like this. If anything,it's helping promote the game that is ultimately paying your paycheck. So ridiculous.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Seriously, why even name a game 'dragon shout'? We all know thats a skyrim knockoff so you know... knock it off before you really start yelling 'nova caine' in cell block D.. k?[/citation]
Because it's not a game. But a Skyrim helper program.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The app appears to be free, if it wasn't I could see Bethesda being uneasy about it.
I can't understand this behavior at all it seems completely self destructive. What next? Targeting fan-sites? Guides and FAQs? Your consumers that are also hardcore fans that put their time and effort into making something that actually helps promote your product is idiotic.

The game industries behavior has just gotten out of hand.

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
It's not the company is the law behind this. They need to change the way I.P. is handled. Besides they are in the business of making money so why not?

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Bethesda keeps doing things to increase my disgust with them.[/citation]

This! ^^

Bethesda is going down a path that no one is going to follow. Soon they'll become assimilated with the Borg (EA).

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I feel bad for the app creator. Putting all that effort into making something helpful for a game that he was such a big fan of, only to have Bethesda pull this BS.

Rahbot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Im sick and tired of Bethesda/ZeniMax and there games. I havent bought one yet.... that doesnt mean that I dont play there games.

Status
Not open for further replies.