Unusual Virus Problem [Microsoft Security Essentials] *continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasihxkhatib

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Sorry for posting again but the thread was automatically closed 0.o

Original Post is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243841-49-unusual-virus-problem-microsoft-security-essentials#t883744

I was suggested to use MalwareBytes and ComboFix.

My questions are :
1. what is 'safe mode with networking'. I know about safemode bt with networking?????
2. will I have to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials to install these????
3. Is the interface of safemode similar to BIOS????

Suggestions plz and tell me abt that virus I mentioned in original post. I didnt get any info abt it

Solution
I'm sorry, but sometimes troubleshooting does involve some experimentation. As long as you make a copy of the folder, you can always replace it.

If the network services aren't running in safe mode with networking, then you can always start with the AVG rescue disc. That doesn't require running in safe mode with networking.

nikorr

Distinguished
[fixed]1. what is 'safe mode with networking'. I know about safemode bt with networking?????[/fixed]
Keep pressing F8 on the start up
[fixed]2. will I have to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials to install these????[/fixed]
No, keep it.
[fixed]3. Is the interface of safemode similar to BIOS????[/fixed]
No, it looks the same, it just will not start all the services, only those needed to run windows. So it may not wake up the virus.

aford10

Distinguished

1. Safe mode with networking is essentially, the same exact thing as safe mode, except there are networking services active. This allows your scanners to update their virus databases before they scan.

2. No, you don't need to uninstall MSE, but you should shut it down when another scanner is running.

3. No, the BIOS and safe mode look very different. Depending on your specific BIOS, it will likely look similar to one of these:

Safe mode will look very similar to your normal windows desktop. There will just be less applications and services running.

I understand there is some debate on whether to run malwarebytes in safe mode with networking, or in normal windows mode. I strongly recommend running it in safe mode with networking. I've always found this method to be more effective. You can always run it again afterwards, in normal windows.

If you start at the beginning of the malware guide in my signature, it should clean up your system. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Here's some information on the worm.
http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/ArchiveMalware.aspx?language=us&name=WORM_POVGON.B

aford10

Distinguished
I found someone with a similar problem. Here was their fix:

log on to Windows by Safe mode ... open My Computer , Go to your Windows Installed directory (eg . c:\windows\system32) , Open "LogFiles" folder inside system32 , then the "WMI" Folder ... You will find a Folder named RTBackup inside it . What you have to do is delete everything inside the RTBackup Folder and to do that you must be using administrative privileges in safe Mode ...

aford10

Distinguished
It's a real time backup folder. As I've never done this personally, it may be better to copy that file to somewhere else before you do this. If it doesn't work as expected, then you can simply copy the folder back.

aford10

Distinguished
I'm sorry, but sometimes troubleshooting does involve some experimentation. As long as you make a copy of the folder, you can always replace it.

If the network services aren't running in safe mode with networking, then you can always start with the AVG rescue disc. That doesn't require running in safe mode with networking.

Solution

nikorr

Distinguished

No pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.