Upgrade laptop cpu from i5 to i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
Hi! I want to know if I can upgrade my laptops CPU. I have a HP Pavilion dv6-2105ea with 2.27GHz core i5 430M. I found a website where are the compatible CPUs, but I don't know if I can trust it, because my curent CPU doesn't show up on the list. http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/PM55_Express.html (Copy and paste the full link otherwise it doesn't work)

So I decided to go with core i7 620M, but I want to be sure that it is compatible.

Here are some specs I got from CPU-Z

Intel core i5 430M @2.27Ghz
Socket 989 rPGA

Chipset Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
PM55

Any other specs needed please ask! Need to know ASAP! Thanks!

ajpaolello

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
CAN you? In theory, yes. SHOULD you? I strongly advise against it. Laptop parts don't have the same flexibility as desktops. And if something goes wrong, that could fry your whole laptop.

Most Mobile CPU (xxxM) are generally soldered to the motherboard. Replacing them, if at all possible, is generally not financially viable. Any upgrade potential would be limited by other factors in a laptop. PSU/Cooling etc.

My vote would be to buy a new laptop.

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It looks like it MIGHT be possible. It depends; these processors came in both BGA and PGA forms. If it's BGA, it's permanently attached and not upgradeable. If it's PGA, I don't think it's a big problem to swap. They are the same timeline, and if they're both listed under that chipset, then I think it would work.

BUT, the performance improvement isn't that great:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/734/Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-430M_(PGA988)_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-620M_(PGA988).html

I certainly wouldn't order the i7 until I knew if I had a BGA or PGA version. And BGA is cheaper...so it's more likely.

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Thanks for your advice, but I still want to know if it is compatible and then decide whether to upgrade or not.

Here are some pics from CPU-Z

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

How can I tell if it is PGA or BGA? Do I have to take the laptop apart? Will the CPU be soldered to the board as Barty1884 suggested?

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Well the reason for me wanting to upgrade instead of buying a new laptop is that I don't have that much money for a new laptop this powerful and the laptop I have just needs a small upgrade for it to suit my needs.

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Thank you very much man! I will also upgrade my laptops RAM from 3GB (1x1GB and 1x2GB) to 8GB (2x4GB) Hoping that it will boost up the performance for my laptop. :)

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

This RAM should work well together with that i7 620M right? Because I know it is compatible with the laptop http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=12041&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

Nauris Dardzans

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

Thanks for all your help! Will do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.