AMDRazer

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015
Greetings,

I have a laptop computer that has an empty PCI-E slot. If I can remember correctly from building a computer, you can add a graphics card to this slot. So, I was wondering if I could upgrade the graphics from a graphic card purchase? If so, I would need help with compatibility.

ACER E5-571P-55TL
Core i5-4210U
4GB RAM

If possible, keep the range at ~$50 USD, max ~$75 USD
Also, at least 1GB GDDR5

Thanks all,
AMDRazer

Solution
With intel HD graphics, there is really no way to do anything that will have a noticeable effect. I am sorry to say, but there is nothing that you can do to improve intel HD graphics. Just bear with it until you can buy a better laptop.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
I am afraid such a thing cannot be done, as your motherboard may not be able to power the card leading to electrical issues, or the battery will die very fast due to over draw. Also there are almost no new graphics cards for laptops below $75. I am afraid you are best off saving up, and buying another laptop or desk top with true dedicated GPU support.

AMDRazer

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Thanks, Robert.
I want to keep this laptop, therefore I have another question.
Can I have the bought GPU only activate when it is plugged in?
Then, if 75 is too low, what is my lowest?

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
Ok, to make the GPU run only when plugged in would solve the battery issue, but it may fry your motherboard. Such a feat would also require BIOS modifications and other prone to failure stuff. Also, it would seem your laptop has no way to cool your GPU, as other wise, there would have already been a GPU there. So, with no safe way to power it, and no safe way to cool it, I am afraid there is nothing to be done. I was unable to even find mention of any GPU other than a 650m which will be rather power hungry. and the bid for a used one starts at $70 It also seems like it may want to use your laptop's RAM in which 4GB will not be enough.

AMDRazer

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Okay, so upgrading is not an option. What can I do to squeeze performance of the HD graphics?

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
With intel HD graphics, there is really no way to do anything that will have a noticeable effect. I am sorry to say, but there is nothing that you can do to improve intel HD graphics. Just bear with it until you can buy a better laptop.

Solution

AMDRazer

Estimable
Feb 28, 2015

Hi, I upgraded to a Aspire V5-552-X671 with a A10-5757 and 8GB of RAM. Is there any luck for a dedicated card to crossfire with the APU?