Upgrade / Salvage is this possible?

Jmanofawesome

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Hey I have a question, I have an old laptop which is the ASUS U43 Series U43F-BBA6 Notebook Intel Core i5 480M (2.66GHz) 6GB Memory 640GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 14.0" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Do you think I could go into the bios and change the VRAM from 32 to 64 or 128? Or will stuff overheat / explode... Im only doing this because im building a gaming PC soon but its going to cost around one thousand dollars so I was thinking if I could somehow upgrade this old laptop for a temporary gaming device because 32 VRAM does not cut it for medium end games. I heard you guys were good! *Note that the laptop is in a fairly poor condition with multiple issues but as of yet none of these issues are with the computer parts inside its the case of the laptop that is in poor condition* Also if I cant change the VRAM could I possibly salvage this machine and pocket some cash?

geofelt

Distinguished
If the bios has the ability to dedicate more ram to the graphics, then do it, you will improve your graphics performance. With 6gb of system ram, go to the max. 1024 0r 1500 would not be too much.

By far, the best performance improver for a laptop is to replace the hard drive with a ssd.
I might suggest buying a 240gb ssd now for use in the laptop.
when it comes time to build your desktop, you can use the ssd for your new :C" drive.

Jmanofawesome

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

I understand that and thanks, im low on budget so I think I wont upgrade this unless it is extremely cheap. but again the main question was by increasing the VRAM on the bios will that make the PC run more intensely / need a better cooling system? Because when playing a game like LoL on it which it gets 60 fps at like low settings it gets pretty hot, it does not bsod or turn off when it gets hot it okay as long as its on something like a wooden desc.
But why im asking this is because I want to play more intense games like Rust or CSGO, basically something along the lines of that without performance issues or issues of overheating because I cannot afford to replace parts.

Jmanofawesome

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

So its just a case of it being warm / hot nothings going to melt / set on fire? I know its silly to think but I'd be screwed.
Thank you very much for replying and answering my question :D