Upgrades for this laptop? Asus G51VX-RX05 (Specs included)

CraftedElements

Estimable
Mar 30, 2014
My friend currently owns an Asus G51VX-RX05 Laptop and absolutely loves it. He's been using it for 2 years now and is ready to upgrade it, but since he doesn't know much about computers, he asked me if I could help him out. His budget is around 200$ but possibly 300$ depending on what will be upgraded.

The full list of specs are as follows:
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 / 2 GHz
Cache L2 - 3 MB
Front Side Bus: 1066 MHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM -Speed 800 MHz / PC2-6400
GPU: GTx 260M (1024mb)

A link with all the specs can be found here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5250511

My question: Can I upgrade the ram to 8gb of ddr2? Would it be an option to upgrade the CPU to a faster one in the same family? Since the laptop is from 2008, the CPU's will most likely be cheap, however I don't know if it would be compatible.

My plan was to upgrade him to an SSD, upgrade his ram *if possible* and upgrade his processor to the best one compatible with his laptop.

I would really appreciate any help with this. Selling this laptop, or buying another laptop are not part of our options, neither is getting a desktop, we just need to upgrade this laptop as best as we possibly can

I would really appreciate a fast response,as he's flying out of town in a week, and I would like to have it upgraded by then

Solution
I currently am upgrading my computer and this is the link to what i am doing:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2144946/building-monster-acer-aspire-551-8469.html

i know you dont want to hear someone say "its not worth it" or "just get a newer computer and stop waiting your time" so im going to be as straight forward as possible on the way your friend could best spend his money!

1. get a newer computer! for around $400... he could even get the acer aspier v3-551-8469 (the computer i have) and play current games on normal resolution without upgrades, and the reason is because the technology in his computer is so out of date that even if you did every upgrade available with an unlimited budget... its still only going to get...

shotgunrumble

Estimable
May 14, 2014
I currently am upgrading my computer and this is the link to what i am doing:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2144946/building-monster-acer-aspire-551-8469.html

i know you dont want to hear someone say "its not worth it" or "just get a newer computer and stop waiting your time" so im going to be as straight forward as possible on the way your friend could best spend his money!

1. get a newer computer! for around $400... he could even get the acer aspier v3-551-8469 (the computer i have) and play current games on normal resolution without upgrades, and the reason is because the technology in his computer is so out of date that even if you did every upgrade available with an unlimited budget... its still only going to get performance to a 2010-2011 year model at best!

now that you know what i think your friend should do, if your frined is dead set on upgrading it because that's all he wants. I would say research the mobile processors for SOCKET P (the socket your friend's laptop has) and find out what the best processor the bios and chip set will allow him to upgrade to. After you decide weather or not to upgrade the CPU, max out the RAM for said processor (ddr2 should be pretty cheap). then get him a cheap 125gb ssd and buy a sabrent hard drive external enclosure so he can still use his hdd in addition to his new ssd.

hope i was able to point you in the right direction and shed some light on what you want to do! P.S. if you sit down and take a whole day, you will be able to find out exactly what will and will not work for the socket p and the best processor! just takes time and you can find a better answer than anybody else if you put on your mining gear and dig!

Solution