Upgrading a 7 year-old Home Theater just because it's old?

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi all

Currently building a house and moving out in a few months, I'm thinking about selling our old Panasonic 500W 5.1 Surround Sound system (model SAPT-670, but it was purchased in 2009). It still works perfectly and we're satisfied with the setup.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to sell and upgrade to get some newer features. I haven't followed the news and new releases, but how have things evolved since 7 years? Any notable technologies I shouldn't skip?

Thanks.

PS : Sorry I posted this by mistake in another section of the forum

Solution

Right. Speaker wire is speaker wire.
Yes, run it through the wall if you're sure where you want it, but that wire has not changed in decades.

The only thing that has really changed is optical or HDMI between devices. TV-receiver-cablebox-HTPC. But all those things are generally quite close to each other.

If you're in the stage and concept of running speaker wire, consider also ethernet through the walls. Preferably in conduit...

USAFRet

Illustrious

Keep it for now.
Wait until you get all that new house stuff done. Get used to the room.
Then think about something new. But home audio doesn't change nearly as often as other stuff.

Besides...you'll have enough other expenses and things to worry about.

2JZGTE

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Wise words. I thought about this, but I'd like to run the speaker wires in the walls while the house is under construction. I'm guessing these wires haven't changed.. still the old copper 16 gauge wires, right?

So I could keep it for now and just unplug/replug speakers when I want to upgrade the system?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right. Speaker wire is speaker wire.
Yes, run it through the wall if you're sure where you want it, but that wire has not changed in decades.

The only thing that has really changed is optical or HDMI between devices. TV-receiver-cablebox-HTPC. But all those things are generally quite close to each other.

If you're in the stage and concept of running speaker wire, consider also ethernet through the walls. Preferably in conduit, so you can pull something new in 10 years.
Cat5e or Cat6a today, maybe fiber in 2025.

Solution