Solved! upgrading an asus Rog Strix Scar II GL704VG ssd to 1 TB

Jun 17, 2020
I bought a brand new GL704VG that came with 470 GB SSD wich isn't enough for me, i bought a new 1TB SSD that is M.2 ( don't worry i checked and my computer accepts B and M attachments ) and i don't know how to switch, i only have one SSD plug in my computer and I don't if and how I can transfer my data from one to the other.
I also bought a external ssd case wich I thought of using.
Does my new SSD come with windows 10 pre-loaded ?
Can i transfer ALL of my data using an external plug for my drive?
Thx for all help.
PS: oppenning my laptop up and changing things in it doesn't scare me as i already do it monthly to upgrade or clean.

Jun 17, 2020
You can use this software to clone your current drive directly to your new one
https://www.acronis.com/en-sg/promotion/CrucialHD-download/

Which external SSD case did you buy exactly?
also, in the acronis user manual in the disk cloning section it is said that i will not be able to boot from a cloned disk that was cloned from a usb connection as windows does not accept this. what can i do to be able to boot from this SSD as i believe i do not have a second ssd slot ( i may be wrong and i sent you my exact computer if you want to check). can i transfer all my data to my new ssd then plug it in the ssd slot to then download windows 10 on it or no ?

Jun 17, 2020
You can use this software to clone your current drive directly to your new one
https://www.acronis.com/en-sg/promotion/CrucialHD-download/

Which external SSD case did you buy exactly?
acronis user manual also said that for best results i should put my old drive in the external ssd slot and the new one inside of my laptop, could this make my new ssd capable of booting ?
also can i not directly download windows 10 on my new ssd from the external slot and then transfer all data ?

This one should work

can it clone games as well as video footage and is it free ?

it will clone the entire SSD´s data, no matter if it´s a video or a game

also, in the acronis user manual in the disk cloning section it is said that i will not be able to boot from a cloned disk that was cloned from a usb connection as windows does not accept this. what can i do to be able to boot from this SSD as i believe i do not have a second ssd slot ( i may be wrong and i sent you my exact computer if you want to check). can i transfer all my data to my new ssd then plug it in the ssd slot to then download windows 10 on it or no ?

also can i not directly download windows 10 on my new ssd from the external slot and then transfer all data ?

You can freshly install windows 10 and then transfer your data, but this will involve installing all drivers, applications and games again.
Use the microsoft media creation tool, to create a USB pen drive install media.
install the new SSD into your laptop and boot from the USB pen drive, install windows with it.
copy all important data to the new SSD, games installed from steam or similar will be detected and won´t have to be downloaded again.

If you clone the entire drive, try the new ssd in your laptop and the old one in the USB SSD case, if it doesn´t boot, use the media creation tool to repair windows. It should create a boot sector then

Jun 17, 2020
This one should work

You can freshly install windows 10 and then transfer your data, but this will involve installing all drivers, applications and games again.
install the new SSD into your laptop and boot from the USB pen drive, install windows with it.
copy all important data to the new SSD, games installed from steam or similar will be detected and won´t have to be downloaded again.

If you clone the entire drive, try the new ssd in your laptop and the old one in the USB SSD case, if it doesn´t boot, use the media creation tool to repair windows. It should create a boot sector then
can i just get the media creation tool on the internet or is it pre-downloaded on my computer ?

Jun 17, 2020
This one should work

ok i am downloading the tool now from google

Jun 17, 2020
ok i am downloading the tool now from google
so after i have windows on my usb key what do i do ?
transfer it to the new ssd using the external case?
internal connection ?
do i put the old one in the external? internal ?
do i even put it in for this process ?
so many questions , i am very sorry but i am trying to figure this out and i am french so its kinda hard.
anyway thanks for your help i will see your response tommorrow

Jun 17, 2020
Take out your old SSD from the laptop and plug in the new SSD to the laptop
Boot from the USB pen drive (eventually you will have to change the boot priority inside BIOS to USB) and install windows

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQOL_1xLNE
wow thanks even sent me in french but what do i do w/ the old ssd ? plug in the external ssd case and transfer all of the data except the OS wich i will already have ?