Upgrading CPU in my Toshiba L850 questions?

joshwaan2k14

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Hey guys

I have a PSKACA-03D011 laptop and wondering which one out of these processors would work and best to upgrade to?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I7-2820QM-QS-Q1NC-CPU-D2-2-3-3-4G-8M/231241736010?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D8089962931200585944%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20131003132420%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271518291976&rt=nc

This one looks good for the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-SR0MN-Mobile-CPU-Processor-Socket-G2-PGA988-6MB-2-3GHz-QBC3-/140913264091?pt=CPUs&hash=item20cf15c5db

Is ARCTIC COOLING MX-4 Thermal paste the way to go to put on the GPU and CPU?

Do you guys think this would work with my board also?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I7-3820QM-QC...item3ce27c2d8e

Do you think Borderlands 2 will see a much of a FPS increase going to a quad core?

Thanks

Josh

Solution
Haha man after my own heart. You are doing about as many upgrades as I did. My Samsung laptop came as follows:

CPU: i5-3210M (Dual core, hyper threading 3.1Ghz max)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 620M 1GB RAM (625Mhz Core, 900Mhz RAM)
RAM: 6GB
Battery 6-cell 48wh battery (4400mAH)
HDD: 1TB 8MB cache

Then I upgraded all of those parts and its at this now
CPU: Intel i7-3632QM (Quad-core Hyper Therading 3.1Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GT 620M (865Mhz Core/ 1080Mhz RAM)
RAM: 8GB (Faster RAM too)
Battery: 9 Cell 78Wh
HDD: 1TB with 8GB SSD, 64MB cache. SSHD

All that gave me quite a bit of improvement.

Anyways yes your CPU is in a socket you can remove it easily. On the left of the CPU there is a sort of flat-head screw driver looking bit in the middle. All...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Of the ones you are considering the i7-3610QM is definitely the better choice. It is based on Ivy Bridge, which means it will use significantly less power and produce a lot less heat. Not only that, the clock speed on that page says it is only 2.3Ghz, but that isn't counting the turbo boost which can take it up to I think 3.1Ghz.

For the Artic MX-4, whenever I did this to my laptop I used liquid metal, but more just cause I had it on hand. I am sure the MX-4 will be fine.

For increasing the FPS, it very well might. Your current CPU isn't all that slow for a laptop CPU, but its still possible it might help some. Also you can try overclocking your GPU in the laptop using MSI Afterburner, which worked well for me. Also if you haven't yet, upgrading to 8GB of RAM might help, you only have 4GB going by the page online.

Please note, there is no way to know for sure if this will work. Your laptop has a chipset that is made to support Ivy Bridge CPUs, but your CPU might be soldered to the motherboard. You should open it to check if it is in a socket first. Second, not all BIOSs and motherboards will support others. There is no official list of supported CPUs so its a complete unknown at this point. When I did this with my Samsung laptop it did work and it helped, but I had no way of knowing if it would or not.

joshwaan2k14

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Thanks very much for responding IInuyasha74 :)

It's cheap to the 3610QM to upgrade also :)

I removed the shell and top picture of the CPU it looks like I can remove it what's youre thoughts?

CPU_zps6075ea41.jpg

Cheers

Josh

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Haha man after my own heart. You are doing about as many upgrades as I did. My Samsung laptop came as follows:

CPU: i5-3210M (Dual core, hyper threading 3.1Ghz max)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 620M 1GB RAM (625Mhz Core, 900Mhz RAM)
RAM: 6GB
Battery 6-cell 48wh battery (4400mAH)
HDD: 1TB 8MB cache

Then I upgraded all of those parts and its at this now
CPU: Intel i7-3632QM (Quad-core Hyper Therading 3.1Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia GT 620M (865Mhz Core/ 1080Mhz RAM)
RAM: 8GB (Faster RAM too)
Battery: 9 Cell 78Wh
HDD: 1TB with 8GB SSD, 64MB cache. SSHD

All that gave me quite a bit of improvement.

Anyways yes your CPU is in a socket you can remove it easily. On the left of the CPU there is a sort of flat-head screw driver looking bit in the middle. All you have to do is turn it with a screw driver, it turns easy if its hard you are going the wrong way, and the CPU will then lift right up. Put in the other CPU, twist it the other way, and you are done.

The 3610QM is still the best choice, just to reinforce it. There are several things that go into this. The motherboard can only give the CPU so much power, and the laptop can only handle so much heat. Thanks to the 3610QM being a low power low heat version, it make the chances it will work higher, because it won't produce more heat than your current CPU while the others you listed would. It likely won't consume more power either despite having twice the amount of CPU cores thanks to it being a low power model.
In my system, I had to deactivate the turbo speeds on the laptop to get it to work stable and you might have to also. To explain what that is, you know how it says on the webpage on Ebay it runs at 2.3Ghz? That is considered its full speed, but it will push the speed up as high as 3.1Ghz whenever it is running cool enough so that it boosts performance. This consumes more power, and my laptop couldn't handle that so it would occasionally crash, but I deactivated it and it is still a lot faster than it used to be thanks to having twice the number of CPU cores.

Remember though, you have no way of knowing if it will work till you try. I think it probably will, but its impossible to know for sure.

For RAM yes 2x4GB is ideal. Preferably at fast speeds or low power or both. This is based on a number of things but its a lot to go through.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231703

These are what I have and have pretty much the best specs in terms of how fast they work and how much power they use. Some others are a bit cheaper, but they get a little bit slower performance or a little bit higher power consumption.

Solution

joshwaan2k14

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
Very nice you done quite an upgrade :) Thanks for youre help. Wow 1.35v memory and better cl to helps cool it increases my battery also.
I noticed the 3610 is 45w where my one is 35w but chip is 22nm vs 32nm so that uses less power?

oh and bought a 3610 for 140 and got some mx4 paste for both cpu and gpu :)
having these cooler would mean less load on system would that help battery life?

Lastly is it possble in some way to change my screen to full hd screen?

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Yea that RAM is pretty much all around win.

Oh seems I made a slight mistake with the CPU. It is Ivy bridge, and it is 22nm. What this means is compared to a CPU of Sandy Bridge which would be built on 32nm, if they had the same clock speed and number of cores and everything then the Ivy Bridge would consume less power. However, that is not the case here. This CPU will consume more power and produce more heat. Instead of reducing the power used by the CPU, they instead used the extra power to make the CPU run faster.

I would advise this one instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-CORE-I7-3632QM-2-2GHz-6Mb-QC-AW8063801152800-SR0V0-SOCKET-G2-TESTED-/321450749681?pt=CPUs&hash=item4ad7f52ef1

It is a little more expensive, but this one is actually 35w TDP. So the amount of heat it produces and power it consumes will be closer to your original processor. This is to increase the chances it will work in your computer.

For screen upgrade, it is possible, but a bit more difficult. You need to make sure the screen is the right size. For example it might say it is a 15.6" LCD, but it might be a few millimeters longer or taller than yours. So you need to watch the measurements really carefully.

joshwaan2k14

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
I already purchased the 3610 I guess just as well im putting mx4 paste on. How much does that stuff drop the temps?

Also empr.com.au shows replacement screen bit only the hd one not full hd. So I guess I need to get one with the same connector anyideas on good site?

Thanks heaps for all the help so far its exciting upgrading :)

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Ahh sorry. Well I hope it will be okay.

The MX4 won't help to drop temps much. Better thermal paste can help when the cooling system in use is better. With laptops it is more of an issue that the cooling system cannot cool the system enough. It might help drop a few degrees if you are lucky, but the new CPU will put off more heat and your temps will actually increase.

Same as before, your only real chance is to check and find a laptop with the same size exactly and same connectors. It can be a bit tricky to accomplish.

joshwaan2k14

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014

Thermalic

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Hey,

First of all, sorry for the necto post.

I'm curious if the upgrade did work on your toshiba? This thread left it unclear.

I have the excact same laptop and I'm planning to upgrade to Ivy Bridge, so I'm trying to find information to confirm that it will work.

Thanks.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Should probably try a direct post. I haven't heard back from him to know. I have someone else who is about to attempt an upgrade on a similar Toshiba laptop also but he hasn't done it yet to be able to tell you for sure.

If you do try it, make sure you watch and match the TDP as a safety measure.