Solved! Upgrading Dell inspiron 1545, complete amateur.... Good idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighavfc

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
Hi all

I have recently been looking into upgrading the processor and and ram on the Dell inspiron 1545 i have at home. I have read on here a thread about doing such a thing.

I currently have 3gb Ram. I am planning to buy a matched 2 x 2gb and take out what i have currently. (Max is 8gb (2 x 4gb) My processor is currently a Intel T4200 @ 2 ghz . I have read a intel T9600 @ 2.8 ghz or a T9900 @ 3.06 ghz are the best/max processors i can go for. The T9600 i can purchase for around £7 and the T9900 around £30

Now im being honest, i have very very basic knowledge when it comes to the make up of a computer/laptop. I am more then capable working with one, but no knowledge of what is underneath or how its constructed etc.

My questions are:

Do you think this is a good idea for for a complete amateur to try and do? I have seen enough videos to make me think i can lol

Does anyone have any advice on anything else i need to change or general info?

I could take to the local computer shop but want to try keep costs down as much as possible to be honest.

Thanks

Solution
As long as you know how to take apart the laptop, swapping the CPU, if you can actually swap it in your model, is not much harder. You'd have to remove the heatsink which should only be a few screws, pop in the new CPU and apply new thermal paste. Guides for all that is available, maybe not for your exact model but similar ones. RAM is very easy but buying 4 gb of RAM vs having 3 is a bit of a waste. If you are planning on using the system for a while, get the 8 GB of RAM. Even if used.

Keep in mind you want to make sure the CPU is compatible with the system, just because the socket matches does not mean it will work with the motherboard.
As long as you know how to take apart the laptop, swapping the CPU, if you can actually swap it in your model, is not much harder. You'd have to remove the heatsink which should only be a few screws, pop in the new CPU and apply new thermal paste. Guides for all that is available, maybe not for your exact model but similar ones. RAM is very easy but buying 4 gb of RAM vs having 3 is a bit of a waste. If you are planning on using the system for a while, get the 8 GB of RAM. Even if used.

Keep in mind you want to make sure the CPU is compatible with the system, just because the socket matches does not mean it will work with the motherboard.

Solution

severinsen70

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Just be careful when dealing with delicate components like in a laptop. Ram is generally an easy upgrade, although make sure your laptop supports dual channel ram (2 sticks) as opposed to just 1. I'd also recommend upgrading to 8gb, 3-4GB isnt that much of an upgrade and will require you to upgrade in the future again. CPU as above post mentioned make sure it's compatable.

It's pretty amazing what we can get done with basic knowledge and YouTube. Ive done everything from replacing a whole timing belt system to tinkering with my computers all with just basic knowledge and the help of youtube at the time.

Also an awesome way to learn!

robert600

Distinguished
I agree about the ram but .... make sure you have 64 bit windows or it can't use it.

Other stuff to do while you have it apart: scrupulously clean heat sink, fan blades, fins etc. Also, it's a really good time to replace the cmos battery (they're only about $1).

robert600

Distinguished
I looked on ebay - the Q9100 can be had for $13 - i thought they would be more ... it might be worth a gamble - it'll either work or not work - it wont hurt anything (I hope lol). I believe those processors come in different socket types - make sure you get 'socket P' also known as mPGA478MN

Thinking more about that ram - if you're looking to cut costs - a good compromise solution might be to get 1 4gb stick and replace the 1gb stck you have - that would give you 6gb - that would be a huge jump from 3 for not too much cash. Again, you need a 64 bit windows OS.

robert600

Distinguished
Just to answer my own question about quads ... I found this (talking about a dell 1545):

"Quads don't run because of a BIOS restriction, and no one's been able to come up with a hack to get around that. The X9100 will work; it's supported in the BIOS, but the common C0 stepping runs too hot for the cooler to handle. The rare E0 stepping of the X9100, which is just a multiplier-unlocked version of the Penryn T9900, works fine, but it's extremely hard to find. The P9700, which is a low-power C2D, also works in a 1545.

6MB cache dual-cores run fine in the 1545. 12MB quads, or any other quads, do not. Core i-series chips don't work, either. The T9900 or E0 stepping of X9100 are the best CPU's you can use. T9800 is almost as good at half the price."

The T9800 can be had on ebay for $20 (is that 14.7 pounds?). It's very close in specs to the T9900. I think it only comes in 'socket P'. Both the T9600 and the T9900 have 'socket P' versions and 'BGA' versions. Be sure to get socket P!

robert600

Distinguished
"I did a Quad Core processor upgrade in my dell inspiron 1545 and it worked fine."

That is excellent news. I'll bet it made a huge difference to your laptop. It might be good to write back and tell the original poster what bios version you are using to support that quad.

"Also just to let you know BGA479 and PGA478 is compatible with dell inspiron 1545"

I just don't see how this can be correct ... socket p accepts PIN GRID ARRAY (PGA) processors ... there is absolutely no way a BALL GRID ARRAY (BGA) processor is going to fit in the socket - BGA sockets are designed to be soldered directly to the motherboard.

To The Original Poster:

Given the above post, I think that the Q9100 for $13 (is that 9.6 pounds?) I suggested earlier would be well worth a try. You'll really like quad core.

Status
Not open for further replies.