Upgrading laptop GPU?

Call_Me_Dave

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
hey,
so my laptop model is Asus K55VD, i just found out that i can upgrade my RAM but is it possible to upgrade my GPU(610M) to any newer GPU cards?

Solution
You need to check the laptop specifications. If the laptop has a graphics card MXM slot (very few do), then you may be able to replace the graphics card with another mobile graphics card. Understand that there are still thermal and power limitations to take into account, so, on the off chance you could, your selection of replacements would be very limited.

-Wolf sends

CRO5513Y

Prominent
Herald
Mar 15, 2017
Sadly no you can't, the GPU would be stuck to the motherboard not a simple slot placement like the RAM. From what i know no laptops have ever had removable GPUs.

You need to check the laptop specifications. If the laptop has a graphics card MXM slot (very few do), then you may be able to replace the graphics card with another mobile graphics card. Understand that there are still thermal and power limitations to take into account, so, on the off chance you could, your selection of replacements would be very limited.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Higher end gaming laptops (and I would imagine workstation laptops, probably) sometimes do. Even the laptop in my sig does.