Upgrading/Replacing the HDD

Rangenade

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hello, I'm buying Lenovo Y510p for University. There are 2 versions that I could find in the IT Mall ( price list ) ; Y510p 5939-441 & Y510p-20217 . It comes with 1TB 5400RPM HDD and I was planning to replace it with a Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD or maybe 120GB SSD . Before I replace it, all I need to do is just backup the file from the original drive and restore it back to the new drive right ? and Are they any other things I need to know before upgrading it ?

Edit : Will be using the old drive as an external hard drive

Solution

Rangenade

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

For the SSD which one is better, cloning or fresh install ? If it's fresh install where do I get the windows install ? ( I know the Windows Activation Code is somewhere below the laptop )

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
either should work for you , just means more work to do fresh install
The version of windows may be an tied to the motherboard , so with fresh install you may have to purchase a oem copy of windows
unless you already have one

Rangenade

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Alright ty

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

i always prefer a fresh install

Rangenade

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Yeah I'll do that

Edit : What if I create the recovery drive from the original drive and after that install the recovery thing on my SSD, will it be the same as fresh install ?

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

ehh im not sure, i feel like that would be a much hairier situation than a backup of media + fresh install. I already keep my media on my HDD and have a 60GB SSD for the OS, so fresh installs are no biggie for me

Rangenade

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

For the fresh install , I need a copy of windows ? and the code will rewrites itself since it's tied to the motherboard when it goes online ? . Can I get a cracked ver. of windows and when I go online will it transfer it to the Genuine Copy of Windows or there is a better way ?

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
you will have to purchase an original copy of windows 7 , an oem version will cost less and be fine for what you want , if then in the futeure if you have to reinstall windows you will be able to do so with the oem version you purchase

Beezy

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

if you are installing on the same motherboard you can just get an INSTALL CD (those are free.) and use the license key on your sticker. If you are installing on a new motherboard you will have to spend 80$ for a new license key. The Disc is worthless, the install media can be installed or compiled online, its the actual KEY thats worth the money.

and you will get no help with piracy or cracks here at toms.

Solution