Upgrading Studio 1558 Motherboard?

nickdsr2589

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to upgrade my studio 1558 motherboard (UMA style G939P model) to a discrete video style motherboard.

This may sound expensive and painful, but I got this laptop very cheap, and intended on purchasing a more expensive version anyway, so opposed to ordering a newer XPS for $1200-1600 for an I5-I7 , 1080P , blu-ray etc... i'd rather take this studio and expand it as far as possible.

Currently the laptop runs an I3-350 , 3G DDR3, standard optical drive, 720P screen... and intel HD integrated video graphics.

What i'd like to do is upgrade components in what I assume need to be replaced in this order.

- Motherboard ($300)
- CPU ($200)

I realize the board and CPU will probably have to be interchanged simultaneously depending on the motherboard socket.

- LED to a 1080P screen ($150)
- Backlit Keyboard ($50)
- BluRay ($80)
- 8G DDR3 ($150)

so i'm roughly looking at $930 total cost estimate, assuming I can resell the majority of my parts (at least the CPU, ram, and optical drive) i'm looking at saving $150-$200 to put me around $680 total, and less than that if I can sell my remaining screen/mobo/etc , which sets me at $880 invested tops. Personally, even if I could buy the laptop new with those specifications- i'm doing this over time, so I don't mind that fact.

So what i'm looking to crack down on is what motherboard I need IF this is feasible (otherwise the 1080P screen and core I7 won't happen I assume), if it is and needs parts what are they and on a scale of 1-10 (6 being replacing a laptop motherboard with an identical motherboard) how difficult is it, and last... am I going to send my laptop to the graveyard for interchanging to many parts that were not originally designed to be configured together due to drivers, hardware compatibility, etc...

I'm very aware of the risk and difficulty of interchanging laptop parts (particularly doing something as ridiculous as "optionally" interchanging a motherboard; however, it's a project i'm determined to pursue if possible, and am merely looking for support and information!)

Thanks!

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Overall, not feasible. This is the biggest problems with laptops. You can't just swap out components like a desktop, especially the motherboard. The case is designed for that motherboard, and that motherboard alone. Time for a new laptop.

nickdsr2589

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Well I understand that's generally the rule of.thumb. but you can order a studio retail with that hardware, and the case "looks" identical, as far as the internal housing I'm unsure of, but assuming its the same concept as just replacing the motherboard, just using a different version of the mobo designed for that model, I assumed theoretically this would be possible. I just don't know if different boards for this exact model vary in physical design.

seamonster_84

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
It is possible, I'm actually doing the same thing right now with a 1558. The only limitation is you can't upgrade past what the highest upgrades for the product were originally. For instance, the motherboard you currently have can easily be replaced by the dell motherboard part number CGY2Y. It includes the highest available graphics card for the 1558 (an ATI mobility radeon of some kind). You would also need to buy the different heatsink/fan for the ATI card, it's part number is 2X6C1. You can find both on ebay.

Prices:
Motherboard: $100-150 off ebay (more from dell)
Heatsink: $20-$60 off ebay (more from dell)

I have not finished my project yet so you'll need to figure out which different drivers you need after the upgrade on your own, dell support chat can be very helpful (even after warranty).

Good luck!

daikichi

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Were you ever successful in doing this? Do you know if the CGY2Y works with an i3, or just the i5?

akolusk

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

HI I just purchase the 1558 cgy2y did you or anyone else find out what CPUs are supported for this board ?

THANKS AL

MCS113

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I believe that motherboard will only take an i5 cpu. The motherboard you need is the same one I have the Part# is 04DNR. That motherboard will take up to a i7-720qm CPU (But No Higher). I have the 5470 1gb dedicated graphica and I have been able to upgrade all the way to 16GB P3-10600s memory. Everything is running stable and I use this laptp on a daily basis. Hope this helps

nzdavo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hello everyone. (Sorry MCS113 I sent you a PM - I should have just posted here!)

I have just upgraded my Dell 1555 to a 1558 with i5-540. It is running but asking me for the drivers for just about everything. I put my 1555 drivers CD in but it can't find the drivers it needs. I hoped that the ethernet port would be working but it is not - so I can't auto search online for the drivers. Do you know what drivers I need? Dell only lists Windows 7 drivers and I am running Vista. Any help you can on the drivers would be great!

Thanks
David

Traemandir

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I can't speak from experience, but you should go to the Dell support site and download the drivers for the Studio 1558. Now that your motherboard is a 1558 that is effectively what your laptop is. Since you have no ethernet you will have to download the drivers on another computer and move them over via usb or cd. Also, in this case the Windows 7 drivers should work fine on vista as long as you match up the architecture (64 bit or 32 bit).

Hopefully you already got this figured out since your post was a few months ago! I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard in my Studio 1555 as well that's why I have been snooping around the Internet for forums like this one.