US to Get Dual-core Version of HTC's First Quad-core Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]They just nerfed the phone because AT&T is a nerfed network.[/citation]

No, they nerfed the phone because Tegra 3 doesn't have LTE support built in. It will in the future, or from here on forward, as nVidia just signed a few deals to correct this shortcomming. But as it stands its getting the Snapdragon because Qualcomm has LTE baked right in.

bavarians6

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Except for the fact that the dual core Krait CPU is faster than the Tegra 3 chip... So, they didn't nerf anything. The only argument for "nerfing" is that the GPU in the Krait isn't qutie as fast as the Tegra 3, but from what I've seen of the benchmarks, they're on par with each other. So, no. They did not nerf the One X to release it in the US.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Not that is really matters, various bemchmarks have shown little to no gain from the quadcore setup, maybe in a year or two, but right now the app count that benefits from multi-threads is limited at best. You're better off getting less cores with higher clockspeeds.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]T-Mobile FTW! Oh wait At&t have them...[/citation]
Ummmm, no. That deal was scrapped before year's end. T-mo is T-mo, and AT&T is well, you know... they're just AT&T. I'll be nice, this time. ;)

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]iLLz[/nom]No, they nerfed the phone because Tegra 3 doesn't have LTE support built in. It will in the future, or from here on forward, as nVidia just signed a few deals to correct this shortcomming. But as it stands its getting the Snapdragon because Qualcomm has LTE baked right in.[/citation]

My first comment did contain a bit of sarcasm in it...

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Yes the dual core Krait per core performance is almost double the tegra 3 so in most cases (which is almost all cases with a phone) those 2 cores will work much better than the 4 in tegra 3. I won't miss tegra 3 from what i've seen coming from Krait.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Check the benchmarks, the performance between the two chips is very similar except that Krait will have better battery performance on LTE because of it's integrated LTE areal. So tell me exactly how having the same performance with better battery life is a nerf? "It's ONLY a dual core" Who cares? Nobody cares what the chip looks like, just how quickly the phone runs.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Jeeze Jane you wrote this to sound like having the new Snapdragon S4 is a bad thing. Tegra 3 sucks. The dual core Qualcomm is much better IPC, built on smaller process, integrated LTE, etc.....

This article is all kinds of wrong.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Yes the dual core Krait per core performance is almost double the tegra 3 so in most cases (which is almost all cases with a phone) those 2 cores will work much better than the 4 in tegra 3. I won't miss tegra 3 from what i've seen coming from Krait.

Are we seriously having the dual-core vs quad-core argument? Think logically, if you have a car with 2 doors, 4 people cant get in very quickly, if you have a 4 door car, everyone can get in at the same time.

Even in Math - 4 oranges are better than 2 apples.. see wut I did there?

Status
Not open for further replies.