USB headset no longer working

skullkid

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
hello all,

this is a pretty specific and weird problem and despite hours of scouring the internet for a solution i can't find anything. my (custom built tower) computer's 3.5mm jacks don't work, so for sound/microphone i have been using a USB splitter/adapter.

i have been using this headset:
https://www.amazon.com/ONIKUMA-Gaming-Headset-Noise-canceling-Microphone/dp/B078RJGK35/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526754710&sr=8-2&keywords=k5+headset

with this usb splitter/adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Headphone-Microphone-Desktops/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1526754752&sr=8-5&keywords=ugreen+adapter

this combo has worked for months, with the headset working totally without issue. until yesterday, when totally inexplicably, my computer has stopped picking up the microphone. it still acknowledges that it is connected (in my "recording devices" the USB mic is still there, but talking into it or tapping it creates no green bars). the headphones still work and play sound, it's only the microphone functionality. i tried the headset on another device and the mic works there, so there's no hardware issue with the headset.

i have also tried:

system restoring to when the mic still worked
uninstalling/reinstalling/updating sound and realtek drivers
uninstalling the USB driver for the adapter/splitter
microphone boost, turning on and off exclusive mode, etc

the usb/splitter AND the headset are both basically brand new (like i said, a few months) and i'm sure they are not broken.
i'm at my wit's end here, if someone has any idea how to fix this i'd be really appreciative. thanks!

skullkid

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015

yes, like i said i tried the headset with another device and it works there. there's nothing wrong with the headset hardware-wise. ive narrowed it down to it being a problem with the USB adapter, or at least a problem with how the USB interacts with the PC. what doesn't make sense to me is how it happened out of the blue for seemingly no reason. i know it CAN work because i've been doing it for months

moreover, the USB adapter works for the headphones - it's just the mic that no longer works.

TRENDING THREADS