usb sound card plus receiver

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hello I have Sound Blaster X G5 sound card with Logitech Z906 speakers, and I am wondering if there is any way to hook a receiver up to this set up for 5.1 digital audio?

My other option is hdmi out via my Geforce 1060 graphics card but I am unsure of how I could make this option work with my Logitech Z906 speakers as I would still need a receiver to make every thing work?

I do not have the money to buy both a good receiver and new speakers right now but I can afford a good receiver as long as I can find some way to make it work with the hardware I have.

Was thinking of buying this receiver Onkyo 7.2-ch Network Receiver - Black - TXNR757 as it is on sale right now for $500.

Solution
Z906 is an active loudspeaker set. This set works on it's own, it has it's own amplifier.
The AV receiveror most or all AV receiver I know are equiped with power amplifier. Power amplifier to power amplifier will not do.
Yes, you can not connect Z906 to the receiver.
Just plug your Z906 directly to mobo.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Z906 is an active loudspeaker set. This set works on it's own, it has it's own amplifier.
The AV receiveror most or all AV receiver I know are equiped with power amplifier. Power amplifier to power amplifier will not do.
Yes, you can not connect Z906 to the receiver.
Just plug your Z906 directly to mobo.

Solution

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Thanks for your help, all just have to settle for 5.1 pcm stereo for now then, as my motherboard only has one pcie slot which is taken up by my geforce 1060. My Sound Blaster X G5 while not great is better then the on board Realtek 2.0 audio. Since I'm using the digital ports on my Sound Blaster X G5 I am able to get 5.1 pcm stereo from my pc which works best for gaming as that is what this card was made for, it is not so great for movies and bad for music. I am able to get digital 2.0/2.1 from my Ps3 and Xbox 360 all so with this sound card which is why I prefer it. All have to think about it some more but may be all buy a Sound Blaster X7 later down the road then as it looks like it would be my best option for usb 5.1 digital audio right now. Will definitely make getting a good receiver and speakers a priority for 2019, as I am spending most of this year saving up to build a pc powerful enough to handle 3k/4k gaming.

If you're considering buying a proper home audio surround reciever then you'd surely buy an hdmi enabled one & use the nvidia audio processing from the gtx 1060 itself.
Supports up to 9.2 home atmos, pretty muh every dolby digital format & there is no need for any other hardware.

$500 would get you a half decent reciever & a half decent 5.1 speaker set by the way.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
USD500 is a good start for a decent home theater audio setup (AV receiver+ speaker set).
Especially, if you wanna wait until black friday or cyber monday or whatever.

For now, just stick with mobo audio plus your Z906.
Keep your money until you have enough for that HT set.