USB Speakers Buzzing

G

Hello,

I have a problem with my Genius SP-U115 low end speakers. I tried lot of things to solve this problem, removing all unnecessary components, adding dedicated sound card, splitting all the cables inside and outside the case, but nothing helps, I noticed that the speakers are interfered with some components, every time i scroll the website, or play some game, or moving data on disk, the speakers buzz according to ongoing action.

The only thing that helped was plugging the usb connector to another independent source, like notebook, so the jack was in pc and supply usb in notebook, than the buzzing stopped.

I tried using these speakers on another computer, but it was almost the same, lot of buzz.

Thanks for help.

Solution
Key words: "low end".

From their website:

"Don’t be limited by a power adapter, Genius releases cute mini speakers, SP-U115, whose power is supplied through a USB port from a desktop/notebook. They use 50mm speaker drivers for loud and clear sound performance for a total of 1.5 watts RMS. Four glossy front covers to choose from: shiny black, sapphire blue, ruby red, or grass white. It has a convenient knob on the side to adjust the volume. Just insert the USB plug to a PC/notebook for power and the 3.5mm audio plug into music playback device, such as a PC, notebook, MP3 or CD player and enjoy music with the SP-U115. For more information, contact your local sales representative."

Notice that they say " Just insert the USB plug to a...
Key words: "low end".

From their website:

"Don’t be limited by a power adapter, Genius releases cute mini speakers, SP-U115, whose power is supplied through a USB port from a desktop/notebook. They use 50mm speaker drivers for loud and clear sound performance for a total of 1.5 watts RMS. Four glossy front covers to choose from: shiny black, sapphire blue, ruby red, or grass white. It has a convenient knob on the side to adjust the volume. Just insert the USB plug to a PC/notebook for power and the 3.5mm audio plug into music playback device, such as a PC, notebook, MP3 or CD player and enjoy music with the SP-U115. For more information, contact your local sales representative."

Notice that they say " Just insert the USB plug to a PC/notebook for power and the 3.5mm audio plug into music playback device.....[etc.]"

No real mention that the connections go to the same device....(Which is sort of what we would really want.) Will concede possible "lost in translation" explanations.

Bottom line is that the speaker circuitry is not capable of handling internal/overlapping signals with respect to power and sound when both come from the same source.

What you will probably need to do is obtain a simple AC to USB power adapter (you may already have one that will work) and use it via a wall outlet to power the speakers. Or just use another independent USB source/notebook as you tested.

Personally I would use the AC to USB power adapter. If something bad happens inside the speakers (remember: "low end") I do not want consequences to spread to another high end device such as the notebook.

Solution
G

Thanks, that works perfectly. But I was thinking if this interference could be caused by some problem with the PSU or the MOBO or something like a grounding problem. Or if this interference is normal and only noticable when the signal is amplified.

Thank you. :)

Yes and no.

Most products must adhere to some limit regarding EMI as I understand such things. Both tolerated and generated.

And I would expect the stated PSU and MOBO to be compliant within the allowed tolerances and be of good quality to handle some level of interference ("normal") should that happen. Or conversely reduce what interference they may generate barring some component failure or unique circumstances.

Yes, I would say that either or both could be the source but there are additional factors, i.e., some amplication taking place, current flows, wire paths throughout the entire system.

But unless the buzzing happens on other speakers etc. then all should be well with the PSU and MOBO.

More likely the Genius speakers via design and/or components are just not up to the task of filtering out interference.