USB vs XLR? True Difference? Please help my decision

ChriffeR

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
Hey guys, I have been fighting myself for a month or so now deciding on a microphone to get. I have tried XLR set-ups VS USB and I cannot truly find a difference, I'm sure my ears are just untrained the only differernce I notice is more hiss or less hiss.

I just want a microphone for TeamSpeak, and broadcasting via Twitch. I have tried multiple set-ups, as AT2020 W/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Blue Yeti, AT2020USB, Sterling Audio St51 W/ Behringer Q802usb, ( was terrible hiss ). I don't think honestly I can find a HUGE difference in clarity personally. The best set-up I had was the Scarlett w/ at2020 XLR ( mogami gold cable ). But even then compared to the usb version it wasn't that big.

So my question is for what I'm doing, if I were to get say, a Blue Spark, and paid $170 after taxes for it, would I be making a mistake by not spending that $170 on a Interface/Microphone set-up? I almost feel like getting a more expensive $150+ usb microphone is pointless, when you can build a mixer/interface and microphone set-up for that much.. Yes it is more cables which can be annoying.

I'm just trying to make sense of all this. Buying the Blue Spark @ $170 over something like a Steinburg UR12 w/ Sterling Audio ST51 would that be a dumb decision? Will I lose a ton of clarity? Please let me know, It would be much easier to just order a Blue Spark Digital, or Rode NT usb, or a usb microphone in general! PLEASE just give me a straight answer or tell me I'm to new to this to be overthiking it this much LOL!

Solution
It's really a personal preference issue. The USB mics have a built-in digital preamp while the interface/mic setup separates the two components. The sound quality will vary between different hardware, but the main fundamental difference between the two setups is the tradeoff between convenience and flexibility. With a USB mic, you have just one cable, but you can't change any of the hardware. With a digital interface and mic, you can mix and match or even add other sound equipment.
Both setups do the same thing and probably use mostly the same hardware. Get whatever you like.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
It's really a personal preference issue. The USB mics have a built-in digital preamp while the interface/mic setup separates the two components. The sound quality will vary between different hardware, but the main fundamental difference between the two setups is the tradeoff between convenience and flexibility. With a USB mic, you have just one cable, but you can't change any of the hardware. With a digital interface and mic, you can mix and match or even add other sound equipment.
Both setups do the same thing and probably use mostly the same hardware. Get whatever you like.

Solution

ChriffeR

Estimable
Sep 6, 2014
Thanks man, that's all I really needed. I'm overthinking most of it and I'm sure like even trying the Blue Yeti again wouldn't be bad, It's just hard to get it w/o it picking up tons of noise.

TRENDING THREADS