use laptop with different monitor,keyboard,mouse

anpetty

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Photonboy said (I still think a LAPTOP is a great idea as well. You can get a great laptop for $350 to $400 and use it as a desktop PC with a different monitor/keyboard/mouse if you wish and even close the lid when using it.)

I'm new to all this. How do you use a laptop that way. With your own monitor, keyboard, etc.? The one thing I'm not thrilled about in laptops is the funky "touch" mouse and small screen. Didn't know you could fix that. I have friends with note(net)books and laptops that the sceen is going out so the laptop is worthless. Maybe that is not so? Also don't Laptops have a shorter life span than desktops?

Solution

There is a function key on the laptop to swap screens to an external monitor. If that does not seem to work...

There is a function key on the laptop to swap screens to an external monitor. If that does not seem to work, you can plug in the monitor, turn on the laptop and then quickly close the lid, it should detect the external screen as the main one. You can actually fully remove the screen and the laptop will work just fine.

Solution

Procedure to remove the screen varies by model. If you did not know you can use one with a mouse and keyboard you probably want to have someone else remove the screen for you, without at least some experience, it's too easy to make the laptop unusable.

Not sure what would mean exactly, it's different than using the built-in screen, but quality of the screen would be the same, or better depending on the laptop screen. For use on a desk, using a mouse/keyboard/external monitor is better than using the laptop screen and keyboard.