Solved! Using all the speakers in my Digital AV Receiver hooked to my PC

Mar 1, 2018
Hello all, been here browsing others answers before, but my first time posting my own. Will try my best to word this as best as I can.

Ok so, I have a Digital AV Receiver with speaker system, Samsung HW-C560
Since getting it I have run absolutely everything through it, Game consoles, Cable boxes, PC, etc. When I do something basic like a cable box or even the consoles I could set my surround to use all 5.1, but when I set 5.1 up on PC I get a horrible noise and no actually audio of what im playing. I only have it hooked with an HDMI, as I did with everything in the past. I currently have it playing through it in stereo, but it wont allow me to use all 5.1? Any advice would be appreciated. My PC is my entertainment system now so I'd really like this to get working. Thanks!

Edit: My PC is an ASUS G11CD a basic gaming pc

Solution
"I haven't attempted a specific program, just simply under the sound properties from the desktop"

Dumb question but ... when you're fiddling with the properties in 'sound' ... you are using the hdmi (sometimes called digital audio device) not the speakers device?

Ive always found the 'sound' settings in Windows a bit buggy. Personally, I would test your connection with a good media player (I highly recommend Potplayer) and a good mp4 with a 5.1 audio track or a dvd/blu ray if your pc has an optical drive.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from obsidians_fire : "Using all the speakers in my Digital AV Receiver hooked to my PC"

Problem may be in the program or game. If the audio codec isn't compatible with the receiver you would get noise when you tried to play it. There are a lot of versions of Dolby and DTS. Some are PC oriented and may not play back on the receiver. The receiver manual usually has a list of audio it is happy with.

Mar 1, 2018

I haven't attempted a specific program, just simply under the sound properties from the desktop I've tried to configure to 5.1, I get like I loud shick shick shick sound, but no legitimate audio when I select anything except stereo. Thinking about it, even though the audio plays via surround, it says my speakers are my monitor, is there a way to get my PC to recognize my surround as a connected audio device?

robert600

Distinguished
"I haven't attempted a specific program, just simply under the sound properties from the desktop"

Dumb question but ... when you're fiddling with the properties in 'sound' ... you are using the hdmi (sometimes called digital audio device) not the speakers device?

Ive always found the 'sound' settings in Windows a bit buggy. Personally, I would test your connection with a good media player (I highly recommend Potplayer) and a good mp4 with a 5.1 audio track or a dvd/blu ray if your pc has an optical drive.

Solution