Using desktop computer with A/V receiver for sound

rottensnake

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
Hello,

If I have a desktop computer with 7.1 speaker capability, but already have an A/V receiver hooked up to 7.1 or .2, what would be the best way to utilize that? I know I could use an HDMI cord and run from the comp. to the A/V and then output the image back to my monitor but is there another way to do this? I don't want to have 2 separate sets of speakers in the same room. Is there a way to output the sound through the A/V without having to send the image there?

Thanks

RS

rottensnake

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015

This is a hypothetical situation atm. The mobo I'm planning on buying does have an optical output. So I could use that straight to the A/V and only send audio there? Would that be true 7.1 or would it compress to stereo or something?

Are you saying that watching movies and playing games would be different in regard to what is sent through the HDMI to the A/V? I would rather not have to go from the comp. to the A/V and then back to my monitor. Using the optical port should solve that problem though correct?

rottensnake

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
Also if I am using my HDMI port for a monitor, will it always send the sound out of the monitor or if I hook up a 5.1 or A/V to the desktop will it use those by default?

Thanks,
RS