Using fans for laptop cooling. "Fan stacking"

Maters

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
So i got the idea of making a costume cooling pad for my laptop. I was thinking of buying a case fan and putting it under the intake of the laptops fan.
So i did some research and looked up "fan stacking". And found out that stacking fans is a bad idea because it doesnt really do anything but produce more noise most of the time.
And my question is if I do put the case fan under the laptops fan wouldnt it be just like stacking fans and in the end - useless? Or maybe the slight gap between the cooling pad and the laptop makes the differance here?
Would mounting the fan with a bigger gap between the laptop and the fan increase cooling?
Maybe someone could explin in more detail how a cooling pad gets the job done?

Solution
When putting fans under your laptop it probably won't help much, This is because the extra fans under your laptop would help a little in helping the laptop fans intake air and that's about it, The rest is your laptop cooling's job. Temps might decrease by 1-2 degrees in my own experience and it depends on the brand of laptop cooler or fans, in this case, that you wanted to use, Some omit more noise some less. Fan stacking is useless in my opinion because the amount of air moved from one end of the fan to the other end is just the same and yes, More noise. Laptops generally don't need additional cooling since they have a built in cooling system but, If you still wanted additional cooling, Just buy a genuine laptop cooler, Like...

Sensei Gamer

Estimable
Jun 30, 2015
When putting fans under your laptop it probably won't help much, This is because the extra fans under your laptop would help a little in helping the laptop fans intake air and that's about it, The rest is your laptop cooling's job. Temps might decrease by 1-2 degrees in my own experience and it depends on the brand of laptop cooler or fans, in this case, that you wanted to use, Some omit more noise some less. Fan stacking is useless in my opinion because the amount of air moved from one end of the fan to the other end is just the same and yes, More noise. Laptops generally don't need additional cooling since they have a built in cooling system but, If you still wanted additional cooling, Just buy a genuine laptop cooler, Like coolermaster Notepal or something cheers!

Solution

Maters

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015
Really only 1-2 degreese? Iv seen people getting upto 10 degreese differance with a cooling pad. I wish i had a way of testing it before buying anything.

Maarsch

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
So there's different ways in which this can be helpful.

1. If the air intake is underneath your laptop (and it probably is) you have to prop something under the laptop and thereby you create a bigger air flow path underneath the laptop than the 4 mm provided by the laptop rubber pads.
2. The cooling intake and outflow are not the only heat exchange points. The entire underside of my laptop would get uncomfortably hot. Generating airflow there (as done by the coolermaster notepal, as pointed out by Sensei) you would get rid of that heat. This would be done by a fan not directly stacked on top of your intake fan, and rather one creating airflow on-, or parrallell to-, the surface.

Maters

Estimable
Aug 31, 2015

I have never notice my laptops whole underside getting that hot. Just the part where the cpu and gpu are. But yeah blowing air on the whole underside would cool off the motherboard and all the other components. Gave me an idea for my project thanks. :)