Using HDMI 1 and 2

Apr 26, 2018
My cable box is connected to HDMI 1 and I would like to connect my Firestick to the second HDMI. Can this be done in a way that I dont have to open the menu on my tv to change the HDMI to be used each time?

Thanks

Solution
I have cablebox plugged into one hdmi port and roku into another. I was having to use the source/input on remote to switch between cable and roku. I recently discovered a thing called CEC. It is a menu choice on some tvs to make supported devices work better together. If I turn CEC on, then If I am watching cable and want to switch to the roku I can just press a key on the roku, usually home, and it will switch to the roku, without having to switch source first. But in order to switch back to cable, I have to use the remote to change the source. There may be a way to switch back but have not found it. If I turn CEC off then I have to use the remote to switch source to roku.

I do not know if it works the same way for...
Some TV's will switch to whichever is "active", so turning the cable box off and the firestick "on" might see it auto-switch, but that'll depend on the specifics of the TV...... and doesn't seem like any less work, realistically.

1. Turn cable off
2. Turn Firestick on

Or
1. Turn Firestick on
2. Switch HDMI inputs on remote

I guess your route removes the need for 1x click of a button.... and 1x remote. But that does require your TV to be capable of supporting an "autodetect" feature.

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I have cablebox plugged into one hdmi port and roku into another. I was having to use the source/input on remote to switch between cable and roku. I recently discovered a thing called CEC. It is a menu choice on some tvs to make supported devices work better together. If I turn CEC on, then If I am watching cable and want to switch to the roku I can just press a key on the roku, usually home, and it will switch to the roku, without having to switch source first. But in order to switch back to cable, I have to use the remote to change the source. There may be a way to switch back but have not found it. If I turn CEC off then I have to use the remote to switch source to roku.

I do not know if it works the same way for the firestick. From what I read, some tvs and devices support CEC and some do not.

Solution
Apr 26, 2018

thanks, will look to see if cec is an option, trying to make the switching as user friendly as possible for wife to do on her own.

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I should have mentioned before, some tv's use different names than CEC.