Using home theater speakers with PC

Andre01100

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I've got some old speakers and I want to use them with my PC. They use 5-way binding posts so I can't just plug them straight in of course. Is there a sound card I can buy that will allow me to use them or will I have to use a receiver/amp?

Solution
You will have to run the output of the PC through a suitable amplifier to run these speakers, as the sound cards will only output a line-level output.

Andre01100

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Would it be possible for you to give me a quick run down on what to look at when choosing an amp?

Ok, let me do some research on the power and Ohm ratings of these and get back to you as soon as i can (unless you have the details printed on the back?) finding an amp should be the easy bit!

Andre01100

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

8 ohms, 10-100 watt

Fantastic, i had a feeling it would be along those lines. Basically any half decent 8 Ohm amp in the range of 50w per channel upwards will drive these nicely. I would look on ebay - or similar - and see what you can find. Maybe a nice Denon, or Technics are good solid amps. If you have the budget, maybe look for something more exotic like an older linn for example. Some of these more expensive 'audiophile' amps will have the ability to bi-wire.

Don't forget, if you use an amp without bi-wiring, use the bridging adaptor for the inputs. But depending on what you will put through the speakers, maybe you would deem bi-wiring unnecessary. This would give the system a very much nicer sound, but without a subwoofer, you will be lacking in low-end sound.

I hope this helps,
K.

Andre01100

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Thanks, I am looking at amps now! I've looked up Bi-Wiring and I understand what it is but why would the sound I put through the speakers influence my decision to use it? Is it not about convenience?

No problem. It is purely as the Kef make is highly regarded in the audiophile world, and they use the bi-wiring to separate the hi frequency for the mid and low, instead of the crossover doing all the work. It's just a quality of sound preference. But, if you are not either bothered, or you do not have an amp with the ability, bridging the terminals, and sending in a non-split standard audio signal is fine to do. For PC use i would suggest you really do not need to bother with the bi-wiring aspect. Just a 'normal' good quality older amplifier will do you proud.

Sorry for waffling!

K.