Vacuuming around computers

Poolofcola

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Hi, I searched around for answers regarding vacuuming and computers and after looking for a bit I'm still unsure so I just want things made clear for me.

I vacuumed my computer a tiny bit before realising it's dangerous, and the next time I plugged the power cable in a few sparks appeared from the power outlet. Although I haven't noticed any problems is there any safety precautions I should resort to regardless?

Asside from vacuuming inside the computer or generaly near it, is it fine to vacuum the plane on which the computer is standing so long as a move it away far enough?

And lastly, is it safe to vacuum near power outlets?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes it is ... however I normally use compressed air to clean the inside of a computer ... as you don't want to bash any of the components with the end of a vacuum pipe.

You can vacuum safely around the outdie of the PC or socket outlets ... providing it is not wet vacuuming.
Yes it is ... however I normally use compressed air to clean the inside of a computer ... as you don't want to bash any of the components with the end of a vacuum pipe.

You can vacuum safely around the outdie of the PC or socket outlets ... providing it is not wet vacuuming.

Solution

Poolofcola

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017

Thanks, I feel reassured. <3

My German Shepard used to love being vacuumed ... keeps the dog hair level down by being proactive and going to one ofthe sources.

I used to vacuum the front and back porch too ...

None of the kids would sit still long enough to vacuum them ...

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
I'm a big fan of the DataVac -- the opposite of a vacuum, it's a very efficient replacement for those cans of "duster." Gets dusty computers squeaky clean, just don't hold the nozzle too close to sensitive components.