Vaio FZ-140E Camera just does not work

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I am posting this after reaching the point of frustration and having spent 2 days trying to find a solution.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E Laptop and after doing a fresh XP Pro SP3 install can't get the camera to work. The chipset is Intel(R) GM965 Express Chipset. I have tried

1) Installing SODOTH-12946300-US.EXE (Version : 1.1.07.04020, Last Modified :05/14/2007) - Problem remained
2) Downloading and installing the Camera Driver from
Code:
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/FZ19/DRIVERS/
but the problem remains

When I click on the USB Video Device in Windows Explorer I get the message
Video Preview Failure
Creation of the video preview failed.
Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user.

In Windows Explorer, when I right click on the USB Video Device and from the resulting dialog box, I click on Diagnostics, I get the following message
Your imaging device successfully completed the diagnostic test.

Can someone help please.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply. As you can see from the post, I have downloaded and installed stuff from Sony's website. Did try searching for the latest chipset on Sony's website but could not find it

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Hi all. Just an update. Have tried everything that came to mind and what you have suggested but but no luck. I can tell you that whenever i get a new laptop it will be anything but a Sony :(

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007

Hi buwish. Sorry for the late reply. Was busy trying up to solve the many issues I have been facing since the new installation (a very frustrating experience so far)

1) Can i request you/any other member to help me diagnose the running processes/applications. I only know how to use the Task Manager but am sure that there are probably much better tools out there for this.

2) The request for the recommended tool will also come in extremely handy for me because I keep running into different problems every now and then (when I occasionally take a look at Event Viewer) and the tool will help me diagnose and permanently fix the problems.

Many advance thanks for your help.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Hi (again) anyone/everyone,

How do I :Take a look at the running processes/applications and see if there is anything running that could be using the camera."

Please help. Thanks.