Valve: Apple Changing Console Market With New Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Thinking WTF???

First PC gaming is dying because all the PC makers are going to console games, cause that is where the money is. Now console gaming is going away because....... that is where the money still is??? /scratches head..... :O

Yes this stuff if done right will compete with consoles, but that doesn't mean they are going away yet.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]Thinking WTF???First PC gaming is dying because all the PC makers are going to console games, cause that is where the money is. Now console gaming is going away because....... that is where the money still is??? /scratches head..... Yes this stuff if done right will compete with consoles, but that doesn't mean they are going away yet.[/citation]
You know it's been twenty or so years since people have declared PC gaming is dying. It's been twenty frickin' years, it's still going strong, there are no doubt going to be naysayers that prefer the HUGE openness of the computer (no licensing fees, no dealing with not getting all the money, just you and a server.)

As for consoles, I don't see them going away. Sure mobile apps sound good, but do remember it's more known for being throwaway apps, you just spend a dollar and not even care if the app's crap or not really.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Not to correct Newell, but isnt the 360 and the PS3 already taking the "living room" approach instead of the console approach? I mean, they support everything extremely well except for maybe web browsing (I dont have a PS3)... they play all kinds of media, they play video games, they play internet TV, they play netflix, they do tons as it is. What else should they be expected to do in the living room?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]Thinking WTF???First PC gaming is dying because all the PC makers are going to console games, cause that is where the money is. Now console gaming is going away because....... that is where the money still is??? /scratches head..... Yes this stuff if done right will compete with consoles, but that doesn't mean they are going away yet.[/citation]

Well I took a different approach. I've been a console gamer since I was a young kid. But with console graphics so outdated I decided to build a gaming PC to get next-gen graphics @ 1600p resolution. Battlefield 3!!! I'm getting Xbox 720 graphics today. :)

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
What else should they be expected to do in the living room?
Steal their ideas, make the corners rounded and sue any competition that attempts to sell another console saying they did it first.

Then they will brainwash the masses into thinking that nothing ever existed in that space until they created yet another amazingly magical device to fill the void.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear,"

I suspect newell is smoking some serious hardcore meth and crack !

seriously , Apple ? granted ipussy toys are popular. I just don't see apple making any leaps of change in video games , They have always been in the back of the track when it comes to games not at the forefront.

and yes i am biased , am i a fanboy? no, do i hate apple though , most definitely. I do like PC , and i do like consoles.

and i'l probably get all kinds of thumbs down from waht i'm going to say next , I did hate steve jobs as well as apple , it disgust me that teh prick upa nd dies and every news outlet otu there acts like he was some freaking genius or like he invented the pc by himself. HE WAS A BUISNESS man nothing more he was good at pushing a PR campiagn to rival any asshole we put in office (in the US) in the last 100 years. doesn't mean he ever really invented any thing new or unthought off. he was a self promoting smug bastard, that some how religiously beleived his shit smelled better than every other smug self promoting buisness man in the world. Now that he is dead i hope Apple follows suit.

I sure as hell don't want to see a world where these assholes control the gaming market.
the fact that valve places so much faith in apple kind of upsets me a little in regards to valve.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
As reported earlier, the industry is unsure where the market is heading in regards to the next phase of gaming: will it be consoles, will it be micro-transaction based, cloud-streaming based or will it be a boom on tablets and smartphones?

This is freakin' stupid. Market is heading towards PC.

I hope that MS and Sony will kick Apple's a$$ properly before they release any other stupid useless crap that will be bad for gamers and great for devs. We already have EA and consoles; Apple would mean gaming's death.

What else should they be expected to do in the living room?

Apple doesn't do what's expected, it forces new, unnecessary markets and brainwashes people to jump in. Ever heard of Kinect on Xbox? Now if Apple does something like that, much more [strike]people[/strike] n00bs will jump in, because it's Apple and they're iZombies.

Nothing delivers like PC gaming. NOTHING. High resolutions, awesome graphics, kick-ass peripherals, Eyefinity, 3D, great controls, best MP experience = full immersion. The way it's meant to be played (don't worry AMD, you're with us there, too, but nVidia's slogan is better in this case)

Rot in hell, Apple. I just regret I can't do anything to accelerate that, 'cause if I could, I would. For now I'll just keep making sure NO ONE from my friends and family buys your $h!t.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
and i'l probably get all kinds of thumbs down from waht i'm going to say next , I did hate steve jobs as well as apple , it disgust me that teh prick upa nd dies and every news outlet otu there acts like he was some freaking genius or like he invented the pc by himself. HE WAS A BUISNESS man nothing more he was good at pushing a PR campiagn to rival any asshole we put in office (in the US) in the last 100 years. doesn't mean he ever really invented any thing new or unthought off. he was a self promoting smug bastard, that some how religiously beleived his shit smelled better than every other smug self promoting buisness man in the world. Now that he is dead i hope Apple follows suit.

I agree completely.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Have PC, Will Game.

I dont think PC as a gaming platform will die anytime soon. Hardware vendors are supplying better products every year, and the PC gaming market thrives on that.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Not to correct Newell, but isnt the 360 and the PS3 already taking the "living room" approach instead of the console approach? I mean, they support everything extremely well except for maybe web browsing (I dont have a PS3)... they play all kinds of media, they play video games, they play internet TV, they play netflix, they do tons as it is. What else should they be expected to do in the living room?[/citation]
It should be noted that "they" in that final sentence is consoles in general, not apple. I kind of thought that this was obvious considering I didnt reference apple at all and used "they" in lots of previous examples without mentioning something different that would change what I was referring to.

So, it could also read, "what else should consoles be expected to do in the living room?". I understand a lot of people hate apple, but lets focus just a little bit here.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
jobs hated gameing, and i believe in the past tore into it, and the only reason they got more lax as of now is because how many people play games on the iphone and such. would the under 18 crowd REALLY want an iphone if there were no games on it, but there were on android?

apple has to have seen this. and they have to have SOMETHING in the works.

if they close the system, and make it "not piratable" they have developers support
apple is HUGE in the mobile market, and they seem to get interconectivity more than nintendo and sony EVER did. such as we could see mobil components standard on their platforms games.
if apple basically released a small computer, and allowed a keyboard and mouse, but came standard with a control as complex as... lets say the ps3... i could see them dominating the next console generation, especially if they get real pc titles on the console too.

as much as i hate apple, they are in the position to really shake crap up.

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
they'll use an on-live like device, use the iphone or iPad as controller like microsoft is trying to, and nintendo's wii U, and they will say they invented the all those concept and sue on-live, microsoft, and nintendo.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]jobs hated gameing, and i believe in the past tore into it, and the only reason they got more lax as of now is because how many people play games on the iphone and such. would the under 18 crowd REALLY want an iphone if there were no games on it, but there were on android? apple has to have seen this. and they have to have SOMETHING in the works. if they close the system, and make it "not piratable" they have developers supportapple is HUGE in the mobile market, and they seem to get interconectivity more than nintendo and sony EVER did. such as we could see mobil components standard on their platforms games. if apple basically released a small computer, and allowed a keyboard and mouse, but came standard with a control as complex as... lets say the ps3... i could see them dominating the next console generation, especially if they get real pc titles on the console too. as much as i hate apple, they are in the position to really shake crap up.[/citation]

Sadly, yes... but why did Jobs hate gaming? Is it mentioned anywhere?

Sined

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
valve, fix your dumb 10USD = 10EU before you complain about how dumb apple is, i hate apple as much as anyone else with a brain, but god, sweep the shit away from your front door first.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Sined[/nom]valve, fix your dumb 10USD = 10EU before you complain about how dumb apple is, i hate apple as much as anyone else with a brain, but god, sweep the shit away from your front door first.[/citation]
hey man calm down dont you know they obviously include shipping with your purchase :))

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Newell [...] reiterated that he has no knowledge of a new games-based Apple product
So... something that does not exist, something that is not even rumored (well... NOW it's gonna be rumored), something that will sit in your living room and will redefine the living room experience in unknown ways... this something will ruin the console industry? Will wreck havoc in a 10bn$/year market?

Status
Not open for further replies.