Valve Says PS3 is ''Incredibly Important''

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I do recall an interview with Gabe where he said he didn't want to develop on PS3. Hmmmm....

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
So if I understand this article correctly, it doesn't seem to be as much about the console itself as it is about the integration of Steamworks? They like PS3 because it's more open?

Granted, I know nothing about Steamworks as I choose to play those games on the PC so I'm not really familiar with the console setup for Valve games..

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Just wondering if I'd even want to play Portal 1/2 or Half Life (ep) 2/3 on a console.
No.
I find my PS3 makes a decent media centre, and spends most of its time folding.

a1exh

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I bet he's changed his tune due to the amount of piracy on the 360. I wonder if they will feel the same about the PS3 in a few weeks after PS3Jailbreak hits the streets?

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
A) Fat man looks strangely like Michael Moore.

B) I dunno that anybody wrote him a nice check or not, but I think he saw the huge revenues they were missing out on, and at least where I live there has been a massive migration from 360 to PS3. Friends have literally waited months just to get a ps3, bc they're sold out everywhere around here. Which means fat man isn't getting the money he thinks he deserves and therefore can't keep feeding himself masses of doughnuts. Fact remains that PS3 is a nearly untapped revenue stream for Valve.

C) They may have started to agree with EA on how tapped out the 360 is? I say that as a 360, ps3, pc, mac, and wii owner. EA has said in the past the 360 is tapped, Valve may be looking for a new platform to develop for that has some processing potential left.

D) Is this the same dude that spent time bashing how ridiculous the ps3 was to program for? I'm not really sure if they just couldn't recruit ps3 programmers or what, but I'm not sure I trust this fat man.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]I still feel sorry for XBOX and PS3 users for having to play quality games on a console.[/citation]

Some of us actually play quality games on pc. And once in awhile, we get out of our tiny little box and use consoles. Get over your little elitist bull, some people enjoy consoles, if you don't, fine, don't bother commenting as you haven't actually added anything useful to the conversation.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]I still feel sorry for XBOX and PS3 users for having to play quality games on a console.[/citation]
Me too. When co-op is involved I usually get it for 360, my less fortunate friends get 360 games. Reason being they cant afford to upgrade their comps for having to buy quality games for something they don't need to upgrade. Not everyone has a choice.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
This FAT MAN used to talk a lot of crap about PS3. like yada it sucks its hard to code its not good yada yada yada blah blah blah.

I guess its all about money? afterall VALVe is just a business.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
If he's right, we shouldn't believe how important the PS3 is to them (it's not credible).
From the quotes in the article it could be that they don't give a rat's arse about the PS3, which is unbelievable due to the potential harm to their reputation.

Or is that being overly picky?

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]visa[/nom]... I know nothing about Steamworks as I choose to play those games on the PC so I'm not really familiar with the console setup for Valve games..[/citation]

Not to rub it in, but if you are playing on the PC, and you DON'T know what steamworks (steam) is, then maybe you need to not post about it.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]This FAT MAN used to talk a lot of crap about PS3. like yada it sucks its hard to code its not good yada yada yada blah blah blah.I guess its all about money? afterall VALVe is just a business.[/citation]
Microsoft used to hate the open source community now they embrace it. People/business change all the time if they do they get left in the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.