Valve: Steam for Linux Not In Immediate Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
In a way, it's better if software like Steam stay out of Linux. After all, Linux is open source and that's its great strength. Closed source software really shouldn't be welcomed in Linux. On the other hand, there are little alternatives for certain pieces of software, so that idealistic point of view isn't realistic - yet.

kasus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Well thats not completely true, valve lends support to wine unofficially so you still can use it with linux

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
That's no surprise. I'm not a Linux fan but Apple doesn't have that much of a "Gaming" market for them to make a version for their OS. Just another reason to keep competitive non-MS or non-Apple OS's from ever becoming challenging in the consumer market.

G

In a way, it's better if software like Steam stay out of Linux. After all, Linux is open source and that's its great strength. Closed source software really shouldn't be welcomed in Linux. On the other hand, there are little alternatives for certain pieces of software, so that idealistic point of view isn't realistic - yet.

It is that kind of sentiment that is always going to keep Linux as nothing more then it is right now. Without Commercial development for an OS there is really no point in using it beyond simple activities like web browsing or text editing.

Steam would bring gaming to Linux, and not that terrible emulation experience; but a slick easy to use interface. But then that would mean Linux would move beyond being an OS for really boring nerds.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
well gaming is what really is keeping me from switching all the way to linux. So kudos to Valve for not porting their mac code to linux.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]In a way, it's better if software like Steam stay out of Linux. After all, Linux is open source and that's its great strength. Closed source software really shouldn't be welcomed in Linux. On the other hand, there are little alternatives for certain pieces of software, so that idealistic point of view isn't realistic - yet.[/citation]
I've worked for multiple software companies, even one that released their software on Unix and Linux, and never once did I hear anyone ever say "Gee, it sure would be better if we weren't getting paid to write and sell this".

Free software advocates always talk about making money from support and services, yeah, but supporting and servicing what? Someone has to create the software first, and there's no gaurantee that same person or company will be the one hired to support it. How many people take their car back to the dealer, as opposed to Midas or working on it themselves? I'm sure Ford would like to hear your proposal for the new "free, open-source" Taurus.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well, it would have been a smart move on their part... if valve did make a client for linux, they would be the first super multi-plat gaming program out there... hell they're even moving steam cloud on to the ps3

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]They were so close ;-; opengl support in all valve games and then bam.. sad face..[/citation]

I think the gaming industry wants something easy to write for everything, Audio, 3D, rendering, networking, etc... like DirectX. I know OpenGL has gotten a lot better and grown over the years, but I guess they don't want to have to write a lot of specific code for various video/audio/net libraries.

Also, keep in mind they have a lot of codebase invested in DirectX. DirectX itself has parts that are "broken" in specific ways, which is why there are problems in developing for WINE (you kinda have to break your code the same way to get things to appear the same).

I figure if some unified Linux code library was developed to include all these, work with development teams to bring their code up to spec, there might be some headway able to be made in Linux gaming.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No money. No play. No way will Valve release the source, there would be no financial benefit for them to do so. It is not in Valve's interest to release their code into the wild as would be required for Valve delivered content to work on the myriad of linux distros.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Who said anything about releasing the code? They wouldnt be required to release the source unless they used GPL'd code afaik.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]It is that kind of sentiment that is always going to keep Linux as nothing more then it is right now. Without Commercial development for an OS there is really no point in using it beyond simple activities like web browsing or text editing. Steam would bring gaming to Linux, and not that terrible emulation experience; but a slick easy to use interface. But then that would mean Linux would move beyond being an OS for really boring nerds.[/citation]
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]It is that kind of sentiment that is always going to keep Linux as nothing more then it is right now. Without Commercial development for an OS there is really no point in using it beyond simple activities like web browsing or text editing. Steam would bring gaming to Linux, and not that terrible emulation experience; but a slick easy to use interface. But then that would mean Linux would move beyond being an OS for really boring nerds.[/citation]

Face it, Linux is for really boring nerds and that's unlikely to change.

Few people are willing to switch to a new OS because of the learning curve. Even though OS'es like Ubuntu have a minimal one, it's still too steep for casual users.

Linux developers can't strong arm their way into mainstream either. They don't have the funding to finance fancy advertising campaigns, nor do they have the enormous amount of money a company like MS can pour into OEM's, marketing and god knows what other things that it does to keep in top position.

Today's mainstream market is a hostile environment for an OS. Having Steam won't change that.

Apple prides itself in a huge, almost blind consumer loyalty. MS has a huge market share and as such a vast amount of software and trained users. Both have massive advertising budgets. A small Linux dev company can't force itself into such a market.

And then there's the problems that Linux created itself. There are a myriad of distros and most of them are great in one way or another. However, for a computer novice that's plain scary. How can someone unable to distinguish Office and Windows choose from the vast array of Linux distros? And such a number of distros doesn't simplify writing software either.

Linux is too small, too late and too divided internally to conquer to market, no matter how great it is.

So please, leave Linux to geeks, professionals, scientists and server users. I'd rather have an OS that succeeds in appealing to a niche - or an elite, depending on perspective - than one that aims at mass market but fails.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
why should valve support a niche market any way
there are 50000 flavors of linux and all the fanboys will start crying when steam doesn't work on their distro

Status
Not open for further replies.