VCR won't play tapes.

raffiglen

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I have an old Sears Digital VCR that won't play tapes. I opened it up and found that when I insert a tape, the drum starts spinning but the arms won't move to wrap the tape around the drum. What are some possible causes for my problem, and what are some possible solutions? Could it be a dirty sensor? If so, how could I clean it? Everything seems to be able to move freely and all rubber bands are nice and tight, so I'm positively stumped.

If this isn't the kind of forum to post such questions, could anyone please direct me to any place online where I could get the help I need? Thanks.

Solution
Well if you are sentimental about it....

If you are lucky, it just needs to be cleaned. Nobody repair these things anymore, at least not in the West, I dunno where you posting from.

If you are unlucky it needs to be calibrated. Again where, not the faintest idea.

raffiglen

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
I'd prefer not to replace it, even if I could find a perfect one for $5.

Well if you are sentimental about it....

If you are lucky, it just needs to be cleaned. Nobody repair these things anymore, at least not in the West, I dunno where you posting from.

If you are unlucky it needs to be calibrated. Again where, not the faintest idea.

Solution

raffiglen

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Accidentally pressed solution, sorry. How would I go about cleaning my VCR? I'm in the Midwest.

q-tip with damp alcohol anything that moves, there will be some spots that won't be able to get to without disassembly. All rubber belts would need to be replaced. From past experience you must use genuine original belts, as any tension differential will render ineffective.