Can I use an HDMI digital converter / PVR to digitize old VCR and camcorder tapes via the VCR RF-out?

awl519

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Can I use an HDMI digital converter / PVR to digitize old VCR and camcorder tapes via the VCR RF-out?
Backstory: I just got a Mediasonic Homeworx 180STB HDMI box so that I can drop cable TV, pick up OTA broadcasts, and digitize / store them with its USB drive recording feature. It looks like there are plenty of similar electronivs boxes out there that do pretty much the same thing. All works great so far with old antenna connected to the box ANT IN F connector, and the recording quality is very good.
So, my next though was: as the world's biggest (and cheapest) procrastinator, I have put off digitizing my old VCR tapes, and I was wondering if the box could pick up and record from the RF-OUT of my old VCR connected to the box ANT-IN --- effectively, replacing the usual antenna with the VCR output playing across the cable on channel 3 or 4. So far, however, no luck....when I do a channel scan with the Mediasonic, it doesn't see anything there when a tape is playing. I've tried some obvious stuff -- swapping cables, etc, and still no joy. Anyone out there have any ideas? Maybe I am starting out with the wrong assumptions, wouldn't be the first time. TIA - Andy

Solution
The Mediasonic Homeworx box is only searching for ATSC (digital) signals through that antenna input. Your old VCR is only outputting an NTSC (analog) signal which, it appears, your converter box does not recognize.

You would need a separate storage device attached to (or part of) another media encoder; this one looking for an analog signal.

-Wolf sends
The Mediasonic Homeworx box is only searching for ATSC (digital) signals through that antenna input. Your old VCR is only outputting an NTSC (analog) signal which, it appears, your converter box does not recognize.

You would need a separate storage device attached to (or part of) another media encoder; this one looking for an analog signal.

-Wolf sends

Solution