Verizon Adds 19 More Cities to LTE Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Yep. As someone who works in communications, the amount of hardware required for such an upgrade is intense. Not to mention that they are now connecting every tower with FiOS instead of copper, which is going to increase speeds by a ridiculous amount.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
@otacon72, AT&T 4G? Please, have them work on getting 2G/3G correct before moving on.

We recently moved into one of the big buildings next to the Rockefeller center, and guess what, no AT&T signals at all, lol, middle of the city. I don't know how they can claim they got 97% of the U.S. covered when we can't even make a phone call or text message in the middle of the Manhattan.

It's AT&T's fault because Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint users are texting and laughing at the AT&T users on our floor, lol.

jknouse

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]@otacon72, AT&T 4G? Please, have them work on getting 2G/3G correct before moving on.We recently moved into one of the big buildings next to the Rockefeller center, and guess what, no AT&T signals at all, lol, middle of the city. I don't know how they can claim they got 97% of the U.S. covered when we can't even make a phone call or text message in the middle of the Manhattan.It's AT&T's fault because Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint users are texting and laughing at the AT&T users on our floor, lol.[/citation]

Tough cookies. You decided to live/work/stay in the middle of Grand Central Chaos.

Besides, your signal quality is going to depend on how far you are from a wireless 3G point, how far inside the structure you are, etc. And, AT&T can't afford to put a cell point on every building in Manhattan, and on every 20 floors of every skyscraper. It's cost prohibitive.

And if you don't like their service...change. See how much better it gets. You have a choice to purchase service from someone else. So stop whining, get off your whiny rear, and go buy a new phone from another carrier.

Got a problem? Deal with it. Stop complaining.

And I thought NYC people were tough.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Verison's network is nothing more than 3.5 G.LOOK IT UP![/citation]

Exactly. What will really have me laughing, is when AT&T gets their 4g off the ground. The article a few weeks back about their "real world" scenerio speeds was very, very impressive.. So much faster than anything Verizon is using. And while I definitely don't like AT&T in how expensive they are, and their BS data caps.. At least I can't fault them on BS marketing like exaggerated claims of "4G" to reel in the unsavvy public.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jknouse[/nom]Tough cookies. You decided to live/work/stay in the middle of Grand Central Chaos.Besides, your signal quality is going to depend on how far you are from a wireless 3G point, how far inside the structure you are, etc. And, AT&T can't afford to put a cell point on every building in Manhattan, and on every 20 floors of every skyscraper. It's cost prohibitive.And if you don't like their service...change. See how much better it gets. You have a choice to purchase service from someone else. So stop whining, get off your whiny rear, and go buy a new phone from another carrier.Got a problem? Deal with it. Stop complaining.And I thought NYC people were tough.[/citation]
amdwilliam1985 isnt whining just making an observation. I agree with him. In my experience my verizon phone gets coverage almost everywhere. My friends with ATT have coverage in certain spots.
Also Im sure it takes a large number of towers to cover NYC. However they also have a larger number and density of paying customers to justify all the towers.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
What's the benefit of more speed if there are data caps? That just means you use up your allotment faster. I don't have a data plan for my verizon phone because IT"S NOT WORTH THE MONEY. If I had a business purpose for data on my phone I'd do it.

G

Firstly, hell yes, finally some love for the State College PA area!

Second to the guy above stating that 4G is much faster, sorry, but its not. It's really just 3G 2.0, more or less. It is nowhere near the jump that 2G going to 3G was. The 4G name is mostly a marketing gimmick. While 4G is superior to 3G, the difference is only minor and barely noticeable (in my experience). That said, still pumped to see wireless networks getting updated. Nice to see a provider actually spending money on their infrastructure.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]19,878 kbps Down. 5,755 kbps Up. 105ms Latency.
18,951 kbps Down. 5,131 kbps Up. 68ms Latency.
17,329 kbps Down. 7,570 kbps Up. 76ms Latency.
19,413 kbps Down. 8,705 kbps Up. 85ms Latency.
19,615 kbps Down. 6,399 kbps Up. 93ms Latency.[/citation]
/drool

Saitzev

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom] Here we go: 19,878 kbps Down. 5,755 kbps Up. 105ms Latency. 18,951 kbps Down. 5,131 kbps Up. 68ms Latency. 17,329 kbps Down. 7,570 kbps Up. 76ms Latency. 19,413 kbps Down. 8,705 kbps Up. 85ms Latency. 19,615 kbps Down. 6,399 kbps Up. 93ms Latency. [/citation]
Dang Bra, that's some sick speeds. lol faster than my cable internet especially the upstream, our max here per plans is only 2MB. Looks like my next droid will be tethering heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.