Verizon Asking Obama to Lift Incoming iPhone Ban

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
@house70 - Nobody is ever going to know all of the facts. Maybe Android came first, maybe not. I know Android was first developed as an OS for cameras. Is the original Android related to the current Android? Not sure. I know Apple was the first to market by over a year. I believe Apple formed the first real smartphone OS as we know it. I believe Android was transformed from a camera OS into a smartphone OS somewhere along the way. Steve Jobs believed the smartphone Android was a direct copy of the iphone too. I think he would know more than the average person. He could be lying, but he also made that statement shortly before his death from cancer. Maybe it would have helped him earlier in his career to say that, but I don't think he had a reason to lie at that point.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
flexxar = Apple isheep. It is funny how sheep defend their products by stating that the iPhone is not plastic or Apple did it first. But in the end they know the software and overall experience is inferior, hence the inferior phone, or for short iPhone.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@flexxar - speculating about what Jobs said is pure speculation. He had all the reasons to shine a bright light on an Apple product, I for one would take anything he said with a huge grain of salt.
Facts are facts, though: iPhones were based on existing tech and prior art (like Sci-Fi movie props for instance), not new inventions. Everyone agrees they improved on that, but so did Android-based OEMs. In the end, it's a matter of liking your choices (Android) or liking to be told the only option you have (iOS). I, for one, prefer the former, and apparently so does the majority of tech consumers in the world. Whatever your personal preference is, like I said before, your own choice, but if you also choose to argue that publicly, at least do it based on actual facts and not speculation. Smartphones are largely based on ideas applied first by Palm, you reckon there should be no other company allowed to pick up on that and improve it?

I am done trying to explain all this; anyone with a sliver of open-mindedness would agree to revisit pre-conceived ideas.
Going to the article's topic, however, it is NOT Obama's role to arbitrarily overturn a decision. He's already getting into much more than he should. I'll leave it at that.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I was actually looking at Tablet PC in 2006. Samsung had 4~7" tablet PCs at the time with rounded corners, and no keyboard. It was purely a touch interface. Apple more than likely stole the design straight from Samsung.

JerTheCatboy

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
@Onus:What qualifies '0bama' to make any kind of decision on this matter? The votes of first 69 million people, then for a second time, the votes of 65 million people, which first elected and then reelected him President of the United States. I know...this is painful. I had to endure it in 2000 and again in 2004. Maybe you'll get your way in 2016. :)

That said, he should follow precident here and resist the urge to poke his nose into this affair. Let Apple have a bit of a 'come to Jesus' moment and realize that if you don't like being on the receiving end of a bad behavior, then don't do that behavior to others....

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Since AAPL had refused to participate in FRAND for their patent for "rectangle with rounded corners" (aka "AutoCAD 101"), the rules of FRAND do not apply to them either.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
@flexxar

Since you are going about the boards doing rounds of what Saint Jobs said, here's one for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
This is the "Good artists copy, great artists steal; and [AAPL] has always been shameless about stealing other people's great ideas". Straight out of Saint Jobs mouth, in a televised interview.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
It's not about what's best for the consumer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about people copying off each other, it's needs to stop. And if you come up with an original idea about how to make someone's experience better, then someone else simply steals it, what's the incentive of creating something????? What's the incentive for inventing???? Only the large companies already selling will bring new ideas and the little guy has no reason to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.