Verizon Doesn't Think $600 Galaxy Tab is Pricey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I think when you don't get a phone or PDA on contract. You get gouged anyways. I cane buy a well equipped Netbook or note book for that price.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Without a contract... Not at all. You also don't have to pay $20 a month for the data. You can immediately cancel that. Eventually, they may sell it for less with a contract, but most buyers don't want one, so why force it down the buyers throat. The ipad is right around the same price without a contract, so I don't see how this is sorely overpriced.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Well... having said that... some might consider it. Still, after all the bashing about the price earlier, I doubt many people will change their minds...

songemu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Telecom companies have spoiled people by subsidizing absolutely everything. Your smartphone costs $500. A $600 a tablet isn't unreasonable at all. But for that price, I'd rather wait out the iPad 2.

G

Not having a contract is a big selling point for SIM (GSM and UMTS) devices. However, for a CDMA2000 device locked (and probably unlockable) to VZW, 600$ is expansive.

G

A monthly $20 per GB? I burn through a GB a day by downloading videos. Good thing my local ISP allows me download the entire internet.

darkwingz24

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I remember when I could tether my Palm PDA via blue-tooth to my phone. Have we evolved backwards? Why do these devices need their own data plan? It would make more sense for it to tether to your smart-phone. Just imagine one data plan that either device can use when it needs. Seriously, the Palm was ahead of it's time. I could even connect two palm PDA's together over blue-tooth and play games or share data.

G

i think it alittle ridiculous. its price will drop pretty fast im thinking. its too big to be your primary phone and most people arent gonna want to have a plan with it. most netbooks have more to offer and are $100-200 cheaper. i understand though. its the new toy so they have to charge a bunch for it. ill wait for the price to drop.

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Why not just buy an ipad? It's the same price, got a heck of a lot more apps, and the screen is twice as big (square inch-wise).

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The new iPod touch is $230, the iPad is $500. A 7" tablet from Apple would be somewhere inbetween, if they saw fit to manufacture one. A 7" tablet from another manufacturer, without the "Apple tax", should be less. This would put a reasonable price on a 7" tablet at around $300-350.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]$600 is pricey by all standards for a tablet. iPad looks good in front of this![/citation]

I think that might be the point. Verizon is snubbing the Android tablet so more people purchase the iPad, getting on Apple's good side.

If Verizon gets the iPhone as well, perhaps they'll follow ATT's route and start shunning Android to please Apple even more.

Hmmm.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Everything cost more at Verizon.This is fitting. I will stick to my laptop and smart phone till something reasonable comes along :). Similar clone tablets have been out for half the price for about a month....

Status
Not open for further replies.