Verizon Dropped 911 Call About Trapped Woman

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Nice , yes really nice! you suck man![/citation]
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]she was 94....it was time for her to go...stop collecting social security, i will need it some day, lol[/citation]

Congratulations about reaffirming my belief about many of the tomsguide posters.

Need more proof that we are headed into a narcissistic pandemic? Oh right. I'm preaching to the narcissists.

G

folks!!!! 911 calls on a cell phone is not like a normal cell call, 911 calls are suppose to take precedent over all other traffic, they are suppose to be given a dedicated band, it why even if you start up a cell phone without a SIM and even if the phone is locked you should still be able to dial 911 and get through

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]she was 94....it was time for her to go...stop collecting social security, i will need it some day, lol[/citation]
That will be you someday.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
whose house caught fire while she was still inside

That's really surprising. I usually leave my house before it catches on fire, but I guess she wasn't psychic like me.

You still need to proofread your work. Look over your writing critically before posting. And spell checking never hurt anybody either.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
same story twice in a week rebranded with a new header.
how about another case of the same story, but this time a different net work, but the same iCrapple product:
The Verizon iPhone 4 has a problem that could cause the phone to drop calls, or be unable to place calls, in weak signal conditions, Consumer Reports engineers have found in lab tests.
THG, outscooped by even yahoo, again!
Verizon iPhone 4: Mind the gap, our tests show
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/548/verizon-iphone-4-mind-the-gap-our-tests-show/

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
BTW heavy rain and snow storms are the kryptonite of verizons network, think of it as line of sight in these conditions, if you can't see the cell tower, neither can the phone.
the price you pay for a weak transmitter phone.
this is why analog shouldn't have been removed from new phones, with analog you had better long range capabilities even if you didn't have clear sound you could always get thru plus there were fewer dropped calls! at least from my experience traveling the states

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
This is why land line phones are still around folks. I don't have a "home phone", and just have a cell phone. But this is a key example of why I probably should have a land line phone service. And not "digital" phone services from a cable company, which are also prone to outages.

The old fashion phone line that works even when the power goes out.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Congratulations about reaffirming my belief about many of the tomsguide posters. Need more proof that we are headed into a narcissistic pandemic? Oh right. I'm preaching to the narcissists.[/citation]
boy, you will need that money too, some day, so shut it

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
The last time I had to dial 911, was because the life, of the burglar trying to break into my apartment, was being threatened by the shotgun, I was pointing at him.

G

Lol... please look into the details. I'm sure no one's going to read this, but the problem was NOT the signal to the towers, it's because verizon shut the lines routing to 911 dispatch down. I work in an emergency dispatch center, they are at the mercy of who is providing the 'backbone'. This can happen sometimes when they have to move lines between buildings (if a new center is built and they transfer to the new building, but not for the amount of time that verizon let it, which was hours.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Unfortunately technology in the 21st century doesn't work all that well. Fortunately in the 22nd we'll get it right. But unfortunately we'll never know because our social security at the age of 994 will be not enough to support $199 for an iPhone.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Guys, is it really that hard to consolidate your comments into a single post? Looking at repeat offenders Wish I Was Wealthy and NeBuN. This isn't a chatroom.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
At times like that... "You REALLY WANT TO BE HEARD NOW!!!" :)

Want to live to be 80 is happy? Well, that should depend? Did you do some or all of everything you ever wanted to do? Climb a mountain, fall in love, have kids, drive a tank, make a program, find Elvis in your coffee?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
During a blizzard last month, 10,000 calls to 911 were dropped on Verizon's network.
That's how many of MY calls got dropped every month (to non-911 #s of course), back when I used AT&T. I had to make that many calls because I would have to call the same person 100 times just for one conversation.Verizon has served me much better than AT&T has. Sorry, the blatant advertising won't work on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.