Verizon Introduces New 150mbps Fios

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Wounder if they will ask me to sign a contract that sells my soul to them? Really, I am happy with what I have...a 0-9 button phone with 'Talk, End and On/Off' buttons.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'd take it and pay for it in a second if they offered it in my area. Right now I have Time Warner Cable at 15 Mbps and I typically get 3-4 Mbps down. Their service is criminal but there's nothing else in the area.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Wounder if they will ask me to sign a contract that sells my soul to them? Really, I am happy with what I have...a 0-9 button phone with 'Talk, End and On/Off' buttons.[/citation]

They are talking about a broadband connection for residential users, not cellular networks.

dayblade

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
$195 for 150/35? Really? I am not forking over what is almost a car payment so "America can paves the way for a flurry of emerging bandwidth-intensive applications". Sounds like Verizon wants to pave their own driveways with greenbacks. Sorry, I will stick with my Comcast.

mx2138

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Verizon would be better off if they released it to small businesses first. I doubt any regular consumer would benefit from such a high speed.

Brainbent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Too bad it isn't available in my area. I despise C****st and don't really care for A** either, but not many other options here. I'd be willing to consider the cost, and I'm sure they are offering partials as well.

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Too bad my building can't get FIOS in Manhattan. I would take FIOS's lowest speed over Road Runner.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Verizon believes its new service will become necessary as Americans adopt more broadband intensive practices such as 3D streaming. The company explained that the new service will allow users to download a full two hour high definition film in less than five minutes, or 20 high definition photos in six seconds.
That is: depending of the load of the servers, the time of the day, of the area the service is, how fast is your computer... oh, s!*^, I'm reading the fine print....emmm....nevermind. That's fast.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]That is: depending of the load of the servers, the time of the day, of the area the service is, how fast is your computer... oh, s!*^, I'm reading the fine print....emmm....nevermind. That's fast.[/citation]

I used to work for Verizon a ways back and the only things that matter with FiOS is the load on the server that you connect to and the speed of your PC. But thats true with any provider.

But unlike cable internet, FiOS doesn't share a single line. FiOS is more like DSL on crack. Each residence gets a dedicated line so they can get the speeds. But if the server they connect to only gives about 20Mbps then thats the max they will get.

BTW, if you could max out the 150Mbps FiOS it would give you roughly 18.75 MB/s. I can see them using this for their own servers for thei VOD which already pushes out 1080P HD so this bump will allow Verizon to push 3D and the next step above 1080P which is 1440P and 1600P if I remember correctly.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
That price is too much. Very few home users need that much speed.

I would rather see them concentrating on increasing their service areas, and decreasing downtime. I get Time Warner cable but FIOS is not available in my area. I'm not happy with Time Warner but I'm not sure that FIOS is any better. I have heard of a lot of downtime problems with FIOS, and I think their hardware is too hard to install in the average home.

Status
Not open for further replies.