Verizon Introduces New 150mbps Fios

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, I can get 150 Mbps both ways for $99.99 a month. I'm glad I'm not in Verizon's territory.

G

I have 50/50 thru EPB in chattanooga at 60 a month. What a rip. I could almost get a gig here for that price. www.epbfi.com

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Does anyone know if they allow servers off their residential connection? Because, thats the only reason I can see why someone would want a connection that fast.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I wonder how many people posting here are from the US? That is an insanely good deal price for mbps wise here. I have 15down/2up for $65 a month(so >$4 per mbps down, don't get me started on upload) while that is only a little over $1. This is the best service in my area too. Would like to have more upload speed to host servers with.
Still waiting for Google to come out with their FIOS solution and charge the consumer the right price for decent internet speeds. :p

wrxchris

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I have a FIOS connection in the DC area that is 30.8 Mbps down, 21.5 Mbps up for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 / month. It's bundled with phone and TV, and I haven't looked at the bill in a while and hence cant remember the exact cost. There's no way I would pay 4x price for 5x download speed and a negligible increase in upload speed. Especially since they keep increasing my internet speed for free every few months when I call customer service. Maybe if it was 150 asymmetric would I think about it.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I used to work for Verizon a ways back and the only things that matter with FiOS is the load on the server that you connect to and the speed of your PC. But thats true with any provider.But unlike cable internet, FiOS doesn't share a single line. FiOS is more like DSL on crack. Each residence gets a dedicated line so they can get the speeds. But if the server they connect to only gives about 20Mbps then thats the max they will get.BTW, if you could max out the 150Mbps FiOS it would give you roughly 18.75 MB/s. I can see them using this for their own servers for thei VOD which already pushes out 1080P HD so this bump will allow Verizon to push 3D and the next step above 1080P which is 1440P and 1600P if I remember correctly.[/citation]

You aren't completely correct in your statements... DSL is not dedicated. Many people think that the D is DSL stands for Dedicated. It stands for Digital. While the wire running to your house may be dedicated to you, it all runs back to a node that is shared by everyone on that node. So if say 9 other people are connected to the same node as you and they all pay for 10Mb service, they will only get that full 10Mb at the same time if the node is capable of handling 100. Unfortunately, alot of the nodes out there do not have enough bandwidth comming in to them to support every single person getting their full speed at the same time.

Also, just because multiple cable customers may be connected to the same physical line does not mean that they are sharing any more bandwidth than DSL/FiOS customers. Cable is like having an 8 lane highway with each persons drive way connected directly to the highway at their respective house. DSL/FiOS is more like that same 8 lane highway, but everyones driveway connects to it at the end. The only difference (theoretically) is how everyone is physically connected together. Since everyone is on different channels, they can all send data simultaneously without impeding other people as long as the node can keep up. With DOCSIS 3.0 available in alot of markets, cable companys can in theory provide an unlimited ammount of bandwidth as long as they have enough channels to bond together. In theory this would allow cable to be even faster than fiber as fiber is limited by the speed that the laser can pulse. As long as the cable company can put enough channels together, the sky is the limit.

But you are 100% correct, it doesn't matter what speed your service is (or what physical medium it is delivered over) if the server providing the data isn't able to provide data at the same rate.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]halodude23[/nom]the upload speed is horrible..... When will they make better upload speeds?[/citation]
35 Mbps of upload bandwidth is horrible to you? My upload is 1 Mbps...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Wounder if they will ask me to sign a contract that sells my soul to them? Really, I am happy with what I have...a 0-9 button phone with 'Talk, End and On/Off' buttons.[/citation]
[citation][nom]bmdtech[/nom]Our local ISP's offer 100Mb by 100Mb for 40$ per month. . .[/citation]
Really? Do you live in the US?

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I had the same trouble until I called ( Cablevision)& had them come out to the house & they gave me a different modem. Now I get 15-17 down & the standard 2 up. What it is; your local area is over sold & everyone has the same internet & modem.

[citation][nom]lukeiamyourfather[/nom]I'd take it and pay for it in a second if they offered it in my area. Right now I have Time Warner Cable at 15 Mbps and I typically get 3-4 Mbps down. Their service is criminal but there's nothing else in the area.[/citation]

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]I think you are misunderstanding the data measurements...you have 15 MEGABITS service and are getting 3-4 MEGABYTES per second download. They are two different data measurements and I believe your 3-4 megabytes download translates somewhere in the realm of the 15 megabits service you have. I get 3.5-4 on a 25 megabits service so I believe you are doing pretty good and it all depends on where you are downloading from. [/citation]
3-4 MB/s does not translate to 15 Mbps, not even close. At 15 Mbps, the theoretical max would be around 1.9 MB/s. So I think he actually knows what he's talking about. However, if what lukeiamyourfather said is true, then he's getting seriously ripped off and I feel seriously sorry for him. Even your 25 Mbps connection translates to roughly 3.1 MB/s, so I'm not sure how you're getting 3.5-4 MB/s. Does your ISP offer a boost during low usage hours?

genocide_jim

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
USA - 150/35 Mbps = $194.99/month
AUS - 24/1 = 1.1TB limit $130/month with line rental

150/24 = 6.25 x $130 = $812.50 AUD!!!!!

USA Petrol - $2.7 per gallon = $0.73 aud per litre
AUS Petrol - $1.24 per litre

Get back to us when you ACTUALLY have a right to b**** about prices!!!!

(...Waiting on someone from another country to make my prices look golden, lol!!!)

G

Its a good sign of progress. People used to pay AOL lots of money for fast (crap) dial up. The fact that its available is good. The price will plummet and it'll put pressure on competitors to provide higher bandwidth.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Glad i get to stick with my 400 mbps service from school for a few more years, its always disappointing to come home to 3 mbps DSL, but until internet prices come to reasonable levels i would never pay for 150 mbps, 10 is about the most i would ever pay for.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Sigh.

Why not use some of the economic stimulus to lay down fibre-optic cables across the nation? That way we can actually catch up to what people in Europe/Asia have and not be stuck in the Stone Age of ISPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.