Verizon Intros FiOS Quantum With Up To 300 Mb/s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigahertz20

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The pricing they have for these speeds basically force people to go with the highest, the $100 150Mb/s plan is the most logical. Why go with the 75Mb/s plan for $90 when you can pay $10 more a month and get twice the speed. And even their slowest plan is way overpriced, why go with the 15Mb/s plan for $70 when you can pay $30 more a month and get 10x the speed. Nobody is going to pay that price anyways for 15Mb/s when you can get that speed using DSL/Cable modem and only pay $25-$50 a month.

It's just like at the movie theaters, they make a large popcorn $6 and a medium $5 yet the large popcorn has 40% more popcorn and it's only a $1 more....no brainer.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Yeah cause you know, if you're using the 300mbit FiOS connection, you might want to keep your options open. Wait, what options?? Ooops might as well save the $5/month, you can donate it to charity or something! Unless of course you might want to switch back to DSL or Cable... hahaha! Yeah right! If you can afford 300mbit FiOS, cable and DSL are off the table, bro.[/citation]
You miss my point entirely. The absurdity of having only a roughly 2% difference between non contract and contract prices.

Think of it in terms of cell phones. If you could buy a cell phone for $205 and be on a 2 year contract and only $5 more you could have the same phone and no contract, which deal do you think someone will go for?

As for other options, well, you know, that 300Mb/s sounds good, but that's only potential. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have it and I think it's great Verizon is offering it and pushing technology. But to even get that you have to have a server that can deliver content that fast, network lines and switches that can operate that fast. In reality someone on it will not even come close to that on every day performance.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]I don't really see the point. Is this supposed to be targeted at residential customers? Who on earth would want to spend $210 a month on internet for their home no matter how fast it is? And what would you need throughput like that at home for? I have 30Mbps now with timewarner and only went that fast because that was the lowest speed to get the fastest upload speed they had. I didn't see any reason why I would need 50Mbps even if it was only $10 more I think per month. I'm glad I stuck with 30 because few sites can even hit that speed. Most top out around 1-2MBps for sustained downloads. You're never going to get anywhere near 300mbps from 99% of sites out there.If you're a business, this could make financial sense. For residential customers this makes no sense.[/citation]

Odd i find it rare i dont get all 5 MB download from anysite i goto . my 35/35mb fios line is great. i would love faster. i would have gotten the faster line but it makes the upload slower which i need and it goes from $50 a month to $100 so yeah the cost is kinda stupid.. it is vary rare im stuck at this "CAP" you mention. Though you might be right about 300 mb but you look at it with such a narrow minded view.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Wait isnt your download speed still limited by the servers your downloading from? i wont pay that much for a internet connection just to go on a speedtesting site to see it then get stuck with 205 a month .

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Wait isnt your download speed still limited by the servers your downloading from? i wont pay that much for a internet connection just to go on a speedtesting site to see it then get stuck with 205 a month .[/citation]

only an idiot would pay $205 with contract when the non contract is $210 which would kinda ruin your whole argument.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Sunius[/nom]That's expensive... I don't really know how do they get away with such high prices in the US. Here we pay $15 a month for such internet.http://www.speedtest.net/result/1079940203.png[/citation]

I think back in 2009, the South Korean government was talking about plans of a project that would provide every citizen a 1 gigabit per second connection.

I'm fairly sure they have services that are faster than 1 Gb/s.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
300/65 vs 150/65 at half the price, I think most home users would be better served by the slower plan. Unless you are sharing your connection with many devices/users the end user experience should be similar (except when you are trying to download full HD movies from pirate bay of course).

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I love how people are ready to question the cost of extremely fast internet, but on the other hand are taking cable cock down the throat. Fucking sheep.

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Seriously I am ok with a DATA (FULL DUPLEX) connection costing 100 bucks.

A cable TV connection, is a one way data flow, only a few channels ever watched by the masses, and costs around 100 bucks.. flawed from the beginning...

We should all want to have a conversation, not have a Dictatorship, down with CABLE TV, stop the zombie vision!! Stop being Copacetic and do something different, god knows the cable companies aren't.

Just trying to start something like my friend Linus :p

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]I'm glad I stuck with 30 because few sites can even hit that speed. Most top out around 1-2MBps for sustained downloads. You're never going to get anywhere near 300mbps from 99% of sites out there.[/citation]
[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]Wait isnt your download speed still limited by the servers your downloading from? i wont pay that much for a internet connection just to go on a speedtesting site to see it then get stuck with 205 a month .[/citation]
Have either of you heard of newsgroups?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Have either of you heard of newsgroups?[/citation]

Because reading news feeds requires extra bandwidth...

I know you aren't using the news service to read text but some folks here will still get my point.

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have a 50/50 Mb/s fiber-optic connection through the Utopia Network here in Salt Lake City, UT, and I only pay $55 a month. I couldn't be happier with my internet connection!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]I don't really see the point. Is this supposed to be targeted at residential customers? Who on earth would want to spend $210 a month on internet for their home no matter how fast it is? And what would you need throughput like that at home for? I have 30Mbps now with timewarner and only went that fast because that was the lowest speed to get the fastest upload speed they had. I didn't see any reason why I would need 50Mbps even if it was only $10 more I think per month. I'm glad I stuck with 30 because few sites can even hit that speed. Most top out around 1-2MBps for sustained downloads. You're never going to get anywhere near 300mbps from 99% of sites out there.If you're a business, this could make financial sense. For residential customers this makes no sense.[/citation]

have 4 people in the house, all using the internet at once. having the head room is nice on a 50mbit line, at the same time, when i really need it, say when downloading a game off steam, it usually caps my line...

fast when i need it, and enough headroom for more than one person.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]enforcer22[/nom]Odd i find it rare i dont get all 5 MB download from anysite i goto . my 35/35mb fios line is great. i would love faster. i would have gotten the faster line but it makes the upload slower which i need and it goes from $50 a month to $100 so yeah the cost is kinda stupid.. it is vary rare im stuck at this "CAP" you mention. Though you might be right about 300 mb but you look at it with such a narrow minded view.[/citation]

If this service was currently available in your area. Would you sign up for it tomorrow for $210 a month?

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Also, I find it interesting that you get 5MB/s from a connection not theoretically capable of that speed, but call it as you see it. I tend to see things as they are, not how I want them to be.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kinggremlin[/nom]If this service was currently available in your area. Would you sign up for it tomorrow for $210 a month?[ /citation]

i didnt say i would, however im more into the synced speeds i would likely go more for a 65/65 but since its not offered the 150/65 doesnt look to bad.

And im sorry mr anal warrior 4.37 better for you? I am so sorry i wasnt giving exact numbers for you.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
$210? Really? Man that's more than my monthly car payment. I love how VZ continues to push the envelope on Internet speed but also has yet to declare continued territorial expansion because their FIOS service seems elusive in that I always hear about its awesomeness but the service is not available in my area.

G

i currently pay 177$ for triple play along with 150/50 i cant even get 300mbit on the triple play plan so its not worth it AT ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.