Verizon Responds to No Wi-Fi on Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
No, the main reason they're doing this is so that if you use the Skype-to-domestic calling it uses your Verizon minutes. It only doesn't use minutes if you call Skype-to-Skype. This is so that you don't buy one of the ultra cheap US Skype monthly plans (like $2.95 a month) and make all your domestic calls via the Skype app. If you could do that, then no one would ever have to worry about overage charges on minutes again. And who would want THAT to happen?

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I honestly don't know much about these plans so I may be asking a stupid question but here's what I gathered: Skype to Skype is still free of charge, except for the 3g bandwidth you consume while making the call. Is this correct?

If so it makes perfect sense from Verizon's perspective. Also curious about the Skype monthly plans rmmil mentioned above. Are those really not an option if you're using it on a Droid?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The multiple faces of Verizon.

Face 1: There is too much bandwidth usage. We need to switch to a service where you pay for the amount of bandwidth you consume.

Face 2: Our network was engineered to handle this much traffic. No need to use wi-fi, our network can handle it just fine. Enjoy your unlimited data.

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
That's really amusing. I can't use 3G to make calls over skype on O2 here in the UK, and i'm frustrated. You can't NOT use 3G to make calls and you're frustrated.

The reverse issue for both of us and the outcome = customer unhappy in both cases. You'd think the telcoms would learn...........

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Bzzzzzzzzzzt. Try reading that TOS again. Verizon has limited Skype to *only* domestic-to-international calling, via 3g. Basically they say that as long as you are OK with buying a data plan, they will give you the privilege of buying Skype service in order to make international calls, which they make little to no money on anyway.

The way I see it, they wi-fi argument has nothing to do with their network, it is a result of Verizon wanting to hang on to international roaming kickbacks. If you had wi-fi support, you could travel internationally and make all your calls via skype at a ridiculously low rate, instead of the $1 or more a minute Verizon will bill you.

On top of that, like I said they have forbade using Skype for any domestic calling, since that would allow you to use your data plan instead of your precious anytime minutes.

All in all, Skype on Verizon is a neat toy but ultimately too restricted to be useful, unless you both live and stay inside the US, and like to make calls abroad.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The reason why it doesn't work on wifi is because it's using voice data for voice chat. It's not VOIP, it's a free phone call to a server on verizon's end that then connects you to a voip session. Seems pretty obvious on my Storm when it dials some odd number to begin the skype call.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm in agreement with others that this is to maximize profits, especially since they are stating they need to go to a 3G bandwidth usage billing system instead of unlimited while disabling apps that are to be utilized with wi-fi options. (Yet people still insist that government regulation is always a bad thing and we should let the free market self-regulate...)

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
For winmo phones you can just download skype directly from their site and use it on 3g or wi-fi. That is what I have been doing for years when I was in the U.S. with Verizon and am doing it on my Touch Pro, although right now I am living in Japan.

G

Just a quick question, the link to truphone is http://www.truphone.com - without being biased truphone is the highest quality app for Mobile VoIP, if on Android, iPhone, iPod Touch or Nokia Symbian Phones or even Blackberry. The truth is you can use the build in Skype, Yahoo, MSN, GTalk client to make calls over WiFi and you do not have to bother with Verizon at all. I have been doing this since about 3 years and now I make most of my Mobile calls completely free of charge within the truphone network. Once all your friends are ON Net you are able to call free Globally.

G

Sorry the Link to Truphone Apps is actually http://www.truphone.com/applications/ -- Truphone.com now links to the Global SIM Card they offer (no more roaming) - called Truphone Local Anywhere or TLA

richanderson77

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for maintaining such a nice blog.

I am following up to see if you can review or at least try service from InVox (http://www.invox.com).

InVox (Intelligent Voice) allows you to configure a fortune-500 phone system in 5 mins without custom coding with Speech Recognition. We won the Best of Show at IT Expo for their intuitive do-it-yourself web 2.0 designer.

The system is simple with drag and drop interface. Its web based Visio allowing you to create voice mashups. Out of the box, Invox integrates with CRM (Salesforce, Sugar, Zoho), database, web services, payment gateways, online calendars, surveys, auto answering service, diaster notifications, locators and much more.

Our showcases include integrations with Twitter (say and leave your twee), Yelp, Salesforce, Yahoo and others.

Invox is also offering a free PBX with call forwarding to Skype and Google Talk.

I would like to schedule a time with you to showcase a demonstration of the system. As a token of appreciation, I will be willing to provide you with a free phone system with 250 mins each month for your company.

I look forward to hearing from you.

--

Best

Rich Anderson
rich@invox.com
Invox - http://www.invox.com
Phone: 1.877.800.0729 (Say 'Rich')

Follow us on twitter and get $10 off on your business phone system - http://www.invox.com/twitter.php

G

I am planning a trip to Italy with my Droid. To make up for the fact that Verizon doesn't get voice or data connection in Europe, I think I found a way to get pure GPS and an app that does not require Verizon connectivity to navigate.

Today I cranked up Skype Mobile (since all the places where I'll stay in Europe have wifi) and discover that Verizon has disabled wifi Skype for the transparent reason that it would compete with their voice charges (after I pay $45 per month for my data).

Anybody know of a good voice connection program for Android? And hear if anybody but Verizon connects to the Droid?

Status
Not open for further replies.