Verizon, Sprint Not Getting Win Phone 7 Until 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Seriously stinks for those of us who don't want to hop on the AT&T Monopoly train which is overloaded and overpriced as it is. T-Mobile might counter it a bit but Sprint really should have worked themselves with HTC to get a 4G device out the door on launch day.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Disappointing news for Verizon and Sprint users waiting for Windows Phone 7 to launch before they upgrade: Neither will actually have the phones when the new OS launches this fall.

The more I read about WP7.....the less disappointing it is

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The one good thing I can see coming of this is AT&T can demo a lot of the early devices and such, and hopefully Sprint will pick up something along the lines of the HD3's Supposed specs (1.5Ghz Duel Core, 1GB Ram, etc). Only time will tell but either way WP7 will be sweet, I just won't be able to be an early adopter and promoter when it's on such a expensive and awful network (at my location).

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
The GSM only argument makes sense, however seeing as how Microsoft as far as I know was only responsible for the software, it would seem to me that a platform could have been just as readily available from HTC to work on a CDMA platform as the GSM one. However, it doesn't matter anyway, because this is likely to be just another epic failure. In my travels the main reason Windows mobile users keep windows mobile as opposed to moving over to other technologies is because the newer stuff abandons styluses. They are addicted to that way of doing things, and dont want to learn the touch screen keyboard and stuff. However, this appears to be so far removed from WinMO prior, that even their loyalists will likely re-examine other technologies since it is basically a late copy of other things in existence on all carriers. My opinion is Ballmer just hopes he can throw up a whole bunch of smoke and mirrors and herd the dumber users like sheep to their product.
Only time will tell I suppose.
Android FTW.

G

Major fail. If a company like Microsoft can't come up with resources to do CDMA, that tells you a lot about the future of WinPhone7 and their team. Sorry, can't do that. Repeat after me...

dallaswits

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have the Evo 4G, so i will wait until 2011 and then pass the Evo to my wife and get a Win 7 phone. As a freelance IT guy I try to have first hand experience with most OS's i might have to admin...

G

Windows Phone 7 is a closed system.

No Jailbraking allowed. The OS contains DRM to stop you jailbraking.

G

"Verizon, Sprint Not Getting Win Phone 7 Until 2011"
This is great news! Who wants a Windows phone? OOOH! OOOH! I DON'T! The train has left the station.

pdoell

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I dunno, this is beginning to smell... like another ho-hum product. Kind of like Kin, it was hyped as so great, and then...

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]Are you willing to change to AT&T or T-Mobile just to get one?[/citation]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's a good one Jane...wait...You were serious? AT&T is a joke for which there is no punchline.

thaisport

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I am with Sprint and will NEVER switch to ATT. Heck I've had friends who have canceled their contracts and paid the $200 to switch to Verizon or Sprint.

I've had Sprint for ages back when they really sucked but now they've been awesome. Even awesome customer service.

I am interested in the Win7 phone though. But for now, I'm happy with my TouchPro 2 which is dual booting WM6.5.x and Froyo.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thaisport[/nom]I am with Sprint and will NEVER switch to ATT. Heck I've had friends who have canceled their contracts and paid the $200 to switch to Verizon or Sprint.I've had Sprint for ages back when they really sucked but now they've been awesome. Even awesome customer service.I am interested in the Win7 phone though. But for now, I'm happy with my TouchPro 2 which is dual booting WM6.5.x and Froyo.[/citation]

I used to love Sprint. However, after a somewhat unpleasant phone call from them a few weeks back regarding my apparently not unlimited, unlimited roaming and threats of canceling my service after 7 wonderful years, I will never recommend them again. I'm switching to Verizon. Android FTW!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
can someone explain why you would buy a windows phone 7 phone over an iphone?

as far as I can tell there are only two reasons:

1) your an xbox fan, and want that integration
2) you want a choice in hardware (but to me - purely on a hardware basis - I would think the iphone 4 is pretty much the best hardware you can get now anyway (except for possible antenna issues) I mean, I'd never buy one because I hate the Apple model, but as far as I can see, the winmo7 model is exactly the same)
?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I love the "really really well" comment they keep using. Making those features they include work at release doesn't mean they did it well enough to warrant the double "really" at the front every time. But that really really remains to be seen doesn't it?

@matt87_50, the WP7 OS will be controlled for hardware. Yes you will EVENTUALLY get it on multiple networks and multiple manufacturers but the hardware will be controlled (via approval process) by Microsoft.

If you simply want the best options in hardware and software then Android is the way to go and it seems that won't change after Microsoft re-invents itself in the mobile landscape.

G

I am an AT&T user, and I am holding off on a Win 7 Phone until one is available on Sprint. Then I will drop AT&T like an AT&T call . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.