Verizon: We'll Push Windows Phone Like We Push Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hard to say for sure, but it seems to me like Windows phone has a lot of potential for success as it would seem to provide a nice option when compared to iPhone or Android because:

A) you will have multiple phones to choose from rather than letting Apple tell you what phone you want.

B) you will have a unified OS and be able to count on updates from MS rather than the fragmented Android eco-system.

C) if they do it right, they can have Blackberry-like integration with business servers and software.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]Hard to say for sure, but it seems to me like Windows phone has a lot of potential for success as it would seem to provide a nice option when compared to iPhone or Android because:A) you will have multiple phones to choose from rather than letting Apple tell you what phone you want.B) you will have a unified OS and be able to count on updates from MS rather than the fragmented Android eco-system.C) if they do it right, they can have Blackberry-like integration with business servers and software.[/citation]

Yes, but who knows how long it will take for Verizon and other providers to "bloat" the OS with their advertising crap and special apps? Windows phone will be the same as Android AFAIK. As the number of devices increases, the more fragmented it will become.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
The Windows Phone is like many of Microsoft's products of late, great but Microsoft has no clue how to sell then.

Zune for a prime example, better audio, better software, etc. Microsoft seriously need to replace it's marketing team.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]scythe944[/nom]Yes, but who knows how long it will take for Verizon and other providers to "bloat" the OS with their advertising crap and special apps? Windows phone will be the same as Android AFAIK. As the number of devices increases, the more fragmented it will become.[/citation]

*Looks through his rooted DRIOD*

What's this bloatware you speak of?

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
[citation][nom]scythe944[/nom]Yes, but who knows how long it will take for Verizon and other providers to "bloat" the OS with their advertising crap and special apps? Windows phone will be the same as Android AFAIK. As the number of devices increases, the more fragmented it will become.[/citation]

Don't know if it has changed since launch, but initially the apps were the only software carriers could change and the end user must be allowed to remove anything they add. That being said, it still takes some carriers significantly longer than others when updates roll out, and I'd imagine this will only get worse.

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
HTC Trophy, which is an older model, released back in May 2011.

this is why i hate/love the current technology system, things get outdated in less than a year and they are all cheaply made, a lightbulb used to last more than 10 years a few decades ago, now the barely last for a year! and it is like that just to make us buy more light bulbs, the same thing happens to refrigerators, AC, everything...... but at end of the day thats the only reason we are moving so fast in technology, there is TONS of money invested on it, TONS of money that come from us

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
In addition to 'headscratcher' above. I think Verizon sees WP8 as a real revenue generator. Especially with a shared data plan. Win8Phone Win8Tablet and Win8PC all with seperate data connections but bundled and the ability to combine their data limits. The goal of verizon is to get as many of your devices tied to their data services as possible. They can do that by making it an incremental additional cost for each additional device. This will make it more attractive and convenient for people to get separate data connections for each device rather than tethering them because they will be virtually tethered.
The only platform that will really lends itself to this will be Win8.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
FINALLY! I have been wanting a WinPhone fore like, forever!!! I do not like the Trophy because the screen is too small for my tastes, and I have frequently considered switching to AT&T solely because they have many WP's to choose from.

Most of us read the rumors about Verizon holding off until WP8 and now it looks like fantasy will become reality this fall. If they do offer a WP8/WT8 (WinTablet) bundle, I am sooooooo in! :)

G

Verizon is probably also looking at current user satisfaction ratings for WP7 and seeing that if that trend continues for them it means higher retention and higher renewal rates. Also I think MS vision is to keep tight limits regarding the changes carriers and OEM's can make, and these mainly in the form of apps and skins, not changes to the OS itself, so that when updates happen they, MS, can update the ENTIRE user base with little reliance on the carriers or OEM's to do so themselves, MS partners can see that this is to their advantage it helps ensure user satisfaction and takes the responsibility out of their hands.

And of course in the Windows ecosystem you have data intensive activities like gaming across multiple devices. This is what makes Verizon and AT&T want to push the Windows ecosystem.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Actually with MS, it will probably work the same as it does with Windows based PC's. Where the different OEM's put together the hardware and exterior, they may add apps specific to their brand. But, the OS itself is ultimately supported by MS Windows Dev team. So any updates would be done the same as running windows update on a PC. I think that may end up being one of the saving graces of Windows phone devices. Since the OS isn't open source, it can't be modified by the carrier, or specific phone manufacturer.

I think all you'd have to do is ask a couple people, one with the AT&T iPhone and another with the same gen iPhone on Verizon to see.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Need to push it harder because Windows Phone sucks.[/citation]
And what Windows Phone do you have or are you just a typical troll? Because everyone I have seen that has a Windows phone gives it rave reviews.

I currently have a Droid Bionic. It's a nice phone, but there are some things with Android that is aggravating to me.

It becomes quite obvious why an Android phone needs 1GB of RAM. I don't have a ton of apps on my phone, and have only 2 or 3 I choose to have come up at startup (Skype, Lookout). The problem is, when I restart my phone, I have over half my RAM being used. Why? Within a day I may be down to 250MB of free RAM because all these Android apps think they know better than me when I want them to run. And yes, I know Android will close apps when memory runs low. The problem is, it doesn't close apps that I don't use. The first thing that it will close is the replacement launcher, which is about the worse thing I want closed.

If Android would adress this one issue, I may not even look at the Windows phone. It's rather ironic how for years on the desktop space Windows was always bashed for not providing more choice and being bloated, but on the phones it's the Linux (and yes, Android is Linux based) that's bloated and gives less choice and user control. Oh yes, I know I can gain greater control IF I choose to void my warranty and IF I choose to possibly brick my phone by doing something that was once illegal and may be again and root my phone and install yet another app to freeze these programs. To me, that's not real choice.

iOS is good...for my iPod Touch, but I don't see it as a very good smartphone OS. Just my opinion, but it seems like a glorified multimedia phone, not so much as a usefull tool. So if Microsoft does indeed correct these issues, and they seem they are since their phones don't require near the hardware specs to be just as good (and wasn't this Linux big claim to fame on the desktop about not needing the top hardware, seems the tables have turned on phones), I will be giving serious consideration to one in a year. Perhaps some Lumia ownerwould be nice enough to fill me in on this.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]The Windows Phone is like many of Microsoft's products of late, great but Microsoft has no clue how to sell then.Zune for a prime example, better audio, better software, etc. Microsoft seriously need to replace it's marketing team.[/citation]

the problem with the zune is this... it wasn't apple, and the zune wasn't cheap... and final nail in the coffin... no one likes microsoft and only use it because they have to.

let me point out this piece by peice
apple is the only company who has sold an mp3 player in such significant qualities that they make a crap ton off of it... others come close or rely on a multi functional device, but apple... apple also sold cool... that is what they are good at, selling an air of im better than you.

the zune was literally going up against apple, which is STUPID if you aren't competing on the price side to. apple sells you cool, and a product the integrates in to the first and most significant music store, itunes. microsoft sold you a better product, and defiantly better by the zune hd time, but... they just cant compete with apple even if they are better.

and finally, we have all used windows and other microsoft products to the point that all the bad sticks with them, every problem you have that would be so easy to see and fix, goes unfixed, we do not see how often it goes right, now i am an outlier who has had 7 360s because they all failed (4 read ring, 2 dvd drive related) but most people the worst they get is outlook crashing. in the pc thats general a virus, or malware that has caused a failure, some times its the drivers, and such, but rarely is it souly microsofts fault, but most people jump on an "eff microsoft for this" line, while apple still has a preseption that it just works, and if it ever fails, they make damn sure to make you feel like its your fault and not theirs.

microsoft has such a "tainted" image that no marketing could repair it, even if it doesn't really need repairing.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]*Looks through his rooted DRIOD*What's this bloatware you speak of?[/citation]
Exactly, your ROOTED phone.

I'm really getting tired of this condescending attitude so many in the Android community have..."Oh do something that was once illegal and may be again and that will void your warranty and will cost you any customer support and will take you off the upgrade path and may possibly brick your phone so you can do what you want".

Bloatware should not exist. It shouldn't require rooting to get rid of them. If they want to preload this apps fine, but let customers uninstall them normally.

I also shouldn't have to root my phone to get more control over it. For a long time I have heard users tout Linux because it supposedly gives the user more control over their computers than Windows yet somehow Linux (Android) not giving you control over your phone and trying to think for you is a good thing.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]apple also sold cool... that is what they are good at, selling an air of im better than you.

apple still has a preseption that it just works, and if it ever fails, they make damn sure to make you feel like its your fault and not theirs. microsoft has such a "tainted" image that no marketing could repair it, even if it doesn't really need repairing.[/citation]

Totally agree- only apple could sell an MP3 player with only a Play/Pause button with no screen or other way to select WHICH song YOU wanted to hear! I guess that just goes to show the intelligence level of its user base.

Also agree to how apple treats its customers when design flaws present themselves- how many of us have read where an apple product has failed (like their monitors and batteries/battery chargers), said users complain about it in the apple forums, and next thing you know- the forum not only gets locked but also DELETED!

And do we have to rehash the whole- "you're holding the phone the wrong way!" thing?

Disclosure- I hate vehemently hate apple. I am pro MS, but not to the point where I am deaf, dumb, and blinded like apple fanboi's are.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
If Windows gets the support it needs from Verizon, it will nip at the heels of Android and iOS phones. With 3 competitive OSes, Verizon can then get more favorable agreements with manufacturers who are trying to push out OSes for any of the OS developers. This could mean nothing for the consumer, but extra phone selections for the same price. I hope I'm wrong and this leads to cheaper, higher quality phones.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
@wildkitten you are getting way to worked up over something that barely affects you. You said yourself that having a program loaded ahead of time doesn't make things faster. You also said that you understand that if a program needs more ram, it closes other programs that are in RAM, so why so much aggravation over something that doesn't really impact you negatively?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]@wildkitten you are getting way to worked up over something that barely affects you. You said yourself that having a program loaded ahead of time doesn't make things faster. You also said that you understand that if a program needs more ram, it closes other programs that are in RAM, so why so much aggravation over something that doesn't really impact you negatively?[/citation]
Do you intentionally ignore what people say that you don't want to hear? This DOES affect me. I am getting tired of using only a very few apps, but because several other apps I have no opened are taking up RAM, Android decides "Hey let's close your launcher replacement" which then makes me go back in and kill tasks and restart the things I do want running because things I don't want running are running against my wishes.

I told you before in the other articles comments, which you totally ignored, that while yes, Android does start closing programs, it does NOT close programs based on what the user has not started. Instead, some things it closes are things I do not want closed and that does indeed affect me negatively.

And that's why Windows phones will be something I will seriously consider and give a chance.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]And what Windows Phone do you have or are you just a typical troll? Because everyone I have seen that has a Windows phone gives it rave reviews.[/citation]

And every guy that likes to get his balls stomped on by a dominatrix says it's the best feeling ever. There's only one thing Microsoft needs to know about the Metro-skinned Windows Phone 7... after 18 months it barely has 1.5% usage share. It couldn't have failed harder. So a few people that have Windows phones say they are great, which makes sense, otherwise why buy them?

The market has spoken and Microsoft needs to let go of its ridiculous dream of doing on the mobile what it had done on the desktop. They fixation is hurting the future of desktop Windows and it's hurting Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS