Verizon's DROID X Sold Out in One Day

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The main stream media has gone relatively silent on this. Imagine the fanfare and trumpeting by the mainstream US media if this had been an Apple-logoed item? We would not be able to keep the pro-Apple propaganda, hype, and blatant lies from our ears and eyes.

G

Wow, it's about time there was news like this for a mobile phone other than an iProduct, even if they did limit availability on purpose.

@yo_dude: pics or it didn't happen :p

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Wait. We shouldn't buy the phone simply because it comes hacker-proof? Oh I'm sorry, did your wee wee get stomped finally, so you have to tell everyone not to buy it? I get the whole 'unlocked' thing so you can choose your provider, but really. I'll throw out a number 'which will of course be flamed' and say 95% of consumers buy products to use them at factory specs. No overclocking, no customization. I give the DROID a round of applause for finally finding the solution to hackers.
(or does that give them just more of a challenge?)

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]When they manage to sell more than 3 millions Droid's in 3 weeks, then Ill be impressed, until then just keep wishing you had the most popular phone.[/citation]

popular =/= best quality

Look at Twilight and Justin Beiber. Hardly the pinnacle of their respective genres, but both are insanely popular.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Wait. We shouldn't buy the phone simply because it comes hacker-proof? Oh I'm sorry, did your wee wee get stomped finally, so you have to tell everyone not to buy it? I get the whole 'unlocked' thing so you can choose your provider, but really. I'll throw out a number 'which will of course be flamed' and say 95% of consumers buy products to use them at factory specs. No overclocking, no customization. I give the DROID a round of applause for finally finding the solution to hackers.(or does that give them just more of a challenge?)[/citation]
If you forgot, Android allows me to customize my GUI to a deeper level than Apple could ever allow. Motoblur doesn't allow me to do that, and quite frankly it's just sad.

As for now, its HTC for Android. Easier to root and not afraid of the company going under.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Wait. We shouldn't buy the phone simply because it comes hacker-proof? Oh I'm sorry, did your wee wee get stomped finally, so you have to tell everyone not to buy it? I get the whole 'unlocked' thing so you can choose your provider, but really. I'll throw out a number 'which will of course be flamed' and say 95% of consumers buy products to use them at factory specs. No overclocking, no customization. I give the DROID a round of applause for finally finding the solution to hackers.(or does that give them just more of a challenge?)[/citation]
Agree

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Pretty amazing for a phone that might brick itself if you try to mod it:http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/0 [...] to-mod-it/Ruins the whole principal of Android. OPEN SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE![/citation]
Agreed. I guess this may have to do more with the Wireless provider than with the phone maker. Free tethering any one?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]WERE ALL FANBOYS![/citation]
Were going we're ever we can two sea if there going two get more off their fones!

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]Okay, Apple fanbois take note; THIS is a phone worth waiting in line for!!! I'm glad the Android devices are still able to create a frenzy with all the models out there now.[/citation]

Absolutely, read all the reviews.. They all say the same thing... Droid X kinda sucks.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I'd get it if it wasn't for their stupid bricking ability and if they had good set of games/apps! but till then, I'm with Apple iPhone4...which is still really awesome :).

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]brennon7[/nom]My local Best buy only received ONE PHONE. Let's see the number sold. HTC EVO owns the Droid X 4g baby 2500kbps.[/citation]

Whats so good about that. I can pull that now on my Moto driod on 3g.

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Selling out in the first day hardly means anything. In today's economy no one wants to hold onto any significant inventory so supply and stock are kept low. Also, I think selling out is just becoming a marketing gimmick in order to say 'look how great our product is, it's sold out!' This isn't droid hate (I think it's a mighty fine product), it's just lately almost everything seems to be 'selling out' on the first day, I just have a hard time people are really that excited about a dang phone.[/citation]
You can't be serious...

G

These phone geek wars are the lamest. I miss the PC Vs Mac, x86 vs G4 geek war. That was a geek war!

joshuasgto

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
For those who believe the ridiculous rumors of the Droid X permanently Bricking itself when tampered - do some research. Even the person who posted the original article linked has recanted after Motorola came out and enlightened everyone. It wont brick your phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/motorola-responds-to-droid-x-bootloader-controversy-says-efuse/

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/3450-efuse-will-not-brick-phone-according-motorola.html

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/07/16/motorola-droid-x-brick-self-destruct/

ranger82

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I'm tempted to opt out of contract and upgrade without penalties. Anyone having issues doing this? Also, are there any tethering apps one can buy that works with Android? I use one for my WM 6.1 phone and this would be my only reason for not taking the plunge.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
These phone geek wars are the lamest. I miss the PC Vs Mac, x86 vs G4 geek war. That was a geek war! agreed.

all phones do the same things right? and why would i need HDMI on my phone? give me a 30$ samsung flip phone and i'll be on my way. if surfing facebook is your thing cut your pair off. the only cool thing i like about internet on the phone is pandora. as far as functionality for the workplace that is a whole other issue because phones 4 work should indeed be locked up, i wouldn't want my employees surfing whenever they want, whatever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.